Here are my favorite 20 Frankincense Essential Oil Uses! Frankincense Essential Oil is great for making your own toothpaste, boosting your immune system, relieving tooth pain, and can even help reduce stretch marks! Plus 10 reasons you need to start using essential oils today!
Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) has long been known as the gift of kings – such as the 3 wise men who are said to have delivered it to a babe in a manger many years ago. It has many benefits, so I wanted to share of the more popular with you.
Frankincense essential oil is a natural product that has been used for centuries. It is extracted from the resin of the Boswellia tree and has many benefits.
Although few human studies have been done so far, a study with rats showed a positive effect on stress, while a human study showed aromatherapy (using Frankincense and other oils) helped reduce anxiety for women in labor.
Frankincense can be used topically or aromatically. The easiest way to use it is in a diffuser. There are super simple to set up – just add some water, a few drops of oil, and plug it in!
When using essential oils topically, you should dilute in a carrier oil like almond, avocado, jojoba, or coconut oil. Recommended dilution is 12 drops of frankincense per ounce of carrier oil. Make sure to test a TINY amount on the inside of your wrist before slathering it on, even with a carrier oil.
If you have a reaction, use a carrier oil to dilute further. This also helps stretch your oil a little further without any loss of benefits from the essential oil & I'm all about saving money!
Frankincense Essential Oil Uses
- Anti-inflammatory: Massage into joints or affected area, for general inflammation diffuse.
- Balance hormones: Inhale straight from the bottle, diffuse, or add a few drops to your collar.
- Autism: Frankincense is believed by many to help children with ASD. It is useful in easing hyperactivity, leveling emotions, as well as improving concentration. It is NOT a cure, but I have noticed a difference in my son's frustration level on days we diffuse Frankincense compared to the days we do not. Anything that makes him feel less frustrated without nasty side effects is amazing, in my book!
- Concentration: Rub oil on the back of the neck and temples to improve focus.
- Natural toothpaste: Combine Frankincense, coconut oil, and baking soda to make your own chemical-free toothpaste.
- Stretch Marks: Rub directly onto stretch marks several times a day to reduce visibility. This is one of my favorite frankincense essential oil uses after having 4 kids!
- Restless legs: Soak in a bath of Frankincense, Lavender, Clary Sage, and Ylang Ylang or combine them into your favorite cream to get relief.
- Gingivitis: Frankincense can be used along with conventional dental care/cleaning to help reduce inflammation.
- Tooth pain: Massage directly onto gum near the source of pain for abscess, painful gums, and tooth grinding.
- Seizures: Inhalation and applying the oil directly to the neck has been known to stop seizures right in their tracks.
- Cancer: I am reluctant to put this one, because of a lack of conclusive studies on the subject. Frankincense & Myrrh Oil has been shown to reduce the size of tumors in mice and many people report positive results. Because Frankincense supports a healthy immune system, it would be worth diffusing regularly, in my opinion, as long as your primary care physician does not believe it would interact with your existing cancer treatments.
- Blood Pressure: Rub oil all over the bottom of feet at least once a day to aid in reducing blood pressure, Ylang Ylang and Helichrysum can also be used in combination with Frankincense oil.
- Immune booster: Diffuse daily, especially during cold and flu season.
- Anti-Aging: Massage into face daily, move in an upward direction.
- Improve Digestion: Mix with a carrier oil and rub on your abdomen.
- Wart Removal: Apply a drop to wart 3-4 times per day until gone.
- Natural Sedative: Diffuse into the air and apply to temples and back of the neck for a soothing effect.
- Eczema: Mix with shea butter and coconut oil to create a thick and healing cream, apply as needed to affected skin.
- Pain Relief: Combine with a carrier oil and rub on the sore area.
- Endometriosis: Rub along with Clary Sage over the abdomen to help alleviate the pain associated with this condition. For many women, this is one of their favorite frankincense essential oil uses as it can really help make that time of the month easier to manage.
Can You Ingest Frankincense Essential Oil?
Internal essential oil uses have become extremely popular and due to my research, it is no longer something I feel okay promoting. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to matters of safety.
More Ways to Use Essential Oils
- 20 Ways to Use Lemon Essential Oil
- Uses for Thieves Essential Oil
- 6 Essential Oils to Wake You with a Smile
- Ways to Use Common Sense Essential Oil Blend
What are your favorite frankincense essential oil uses? Do you have a use that is not listed here? Share it with us!