Use lemon essential oil to clean the microwave, in the garden, for natural highlights, whiter teeth, and tons of homemade beauty/body products! Here are my favorite 20 Lemon Essential Oil Uses!
Lemon is right up there as one of my favorite essential oils. It smells amazing, I can use it in every room of my house (even the car too with this nifty diffuser!), and it makes some amazing body products! It's safe to use on children, but should be diluted first to 2%. I keep a large bottle of NOW brand lemon oil in my laundry room, but I use Plant Therapy for my homemade body products, in the diffuser, and topically.
For internal use, I recommend sticking with lemon juice and using the essential oil topically or in a diffuser. Internal use of essential oils has become extremely popular and, due to my research, is no longer something I feel okay promoting. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to matters of safety. If you like to add lemon essential oil to your water for health benefits & flavor, try slicing a lemon at the beginning of the week and use a slice in your water every day instead.
20 Lemon Essential Oil Uses
- Microwave Cleaner: Add a couple drops of lemon essential oil, 1/2 cup water, and a splash of vinegar to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes. Remove the bowl and wipe down with a cloth!
- Deodorizer: Add a couple drops of lemon oil to a cotton ball & store inside the fridge, in the bottom of the trash can, or attached to the inside of the cat litter box to help cut down on nasty odors.
- Simmer Pot: I absolutely love setting up a large pot of water with some cinnamon sticks, cloves, and a couple drops of lemon essential oil for a delicious smell and to add some extra moisture to the air in the winter
- Gardening: Lemon EO is great for killing aphids without hurting your plants. Just mix a few drops of lemon essential oil, a tsp rubbing alcohol, and fill the rest of an 8 oz spray bottle with water. Shake then spray.
- Fungus Fighter: Polish your nails and cuticles with lemon essential oil (diluted with your favorite carrier) to keep your finger and toe nails fungus free. I noticed my toenails appear whiter than normal too.
- Sticky No More: Use a drop or two of lemon essential oil to get adhesive off all bottles and even gum out of hair!
- Natural Highlights: Remember that Sun-In spray? Try using a little lemon essential oil before laying outside on a sunny day for natural highlights. Just make sure you don't get it on your scalp or any exposed skin!
- Dandruff: Lemon essential oil can be added to shampoo to help eliminate dandruff. I'm not sure how much to add per bottle since my shampoo already has it added.
- Teeth Whitener: Add a couple drops of lemon essential oil to your favorite homemade toothpaste recipe for a pearly white smile!
- Facial Cleanser: Try this homemade foaming face wash with lemon essential oil!
- Body Scrub: Make your own Lemon Body Scrub or Citrus Basil Body Scrub for an uplifting, exfoliating experience.
- Bath Bombs: Create these fizzy lemon bath bombs for a relaxing bath or just to make the kids happy!
- Pick Me Up: Having a long day or just can't get going in the morning? Diffuse lemon to energize your body and help your brain focus.
- Get More Done: Combine lemon essential oil with lavender in the diffuser to decrease anxiety, improve your mood, and be more productive.
- DIY Lotion Bars: These DIY Honey Lemon Lotion Bars not only moisturize your skin but smell
- Softer Feet: Use this lemon & lavender foot scrub for pedicure soft
- DIY Dish Soap: Make you own liquid dishwasher detergent with this easy recipe!
- Laundry Boost: Add a couple drops of lemon essential oil to your wash if you have a habit of forgetting it in there overnight. It will combat that musty smell that otherwise occurs.
- Dish Sponges: Place your used dish sponges on the top rack of the dishwasher, add your detergent like normal, plus 2 drops of lemon essential oil. Run as normal. No more smelly sponges!
- Homemade Cleaners: Lemon has so many uses around the house that I can't list them all here! Check out this list of 50 homemade cleaners for more ideas!
Applying citrus oils (or ingesting too much citrus juice) can cause photosensitivity or a sun rash, so after applying please limit your sun exposure for at least 6 hours. My mother learned this the hard way after having a bit too much fun during her trip to Mexico and breaking out in a nasty rash. When she got home, her doctor explained it was all caused by all the lime she was drinking with her tequila!
More Essential Oil Uses:
- Essential Oil Blends to Use at the First Sign of a Cold
- Essential Oils to Wake You Up with a Smile
- 20 Thieves Essential Oil Uses
- 20 Orange Essential Oil Uses
- 20 Frankincense Essential Oil Uses
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.