We've been making small changes to have a more natural, healthy household. I started by increasing the number of indoor plants we have, planning out healthy meals, and working out on a regular basis. We switched doctors to find someone that wasn't quick to prescribe antibiotics at every sniffle, started using more home remedies, and kept researching ways to be healthier.
One thing that came up often in natural healing groups online was essential oils. I've used them for aromatherapy for years, but never really thought about their other uses until this last year or so. Since I've been studying them, I'm amazed at their uses & put together a list of my favorite ways of using essential oils for you.
10 Popular Ways to Use Essential Oils:
- Aromatherapy for relaxation and mood enhancement.
- Incorporate into bedtime routines for a calming ambiance.
- Add to a diffuser for a refreshing indoor scent.
- Blend with carrier oils for a soothing massage.
- Use in DIY cleaning products for a natural fragrance.
- Incorporate into homemade skincare products.
- Diffuse uplifting oils in the morning and relaxing oils in the evening.
- Add to bathwater for a spa-like experience.
- Use in DIY crafts like this peppermint oobleck and gifts.
- Mix with water for a natural room spray.
Now that you know why you should be using essential oils, here's how to get started. You can either purchase them from a local retailer, order them from Amazon, or go with one of the two big companies. I personally have an account with both DoTerra & Young Living.
They each offer a few blends I can't get with the other one & I'm impatient. If something I want goes out of stock with one, I grab it from the other. I'm not brand loyal & I do not follow their usage information – too much contradicts the safety information I've learned from trained aromatherapists.
Some Essential Oils I Enjoy:
- Stress Relief: I have major anxiety issues and use this one (along with my Rescue Remedy spray) whenever I have to travel outside my comfort zone. I also diffuse stress relief around the house because it is very soothing & with four boys…soothing is something I need!
- Frankincense: Known for its relaxing aroma, it's a favorite in many households.
- Lime: Its refreshing scent is invigorating.
- Lavender: A popular choice for relaxation and its pleasant fragrance.
- Peppermint: Loved for its invigorating scent.
- Orange: I diffuse orange essential oil in the morning to help wake me up, sometimes with grapefruit or lemon.
- Thieves: (also called Four Thieves, 5 Thieves, or OnGuard depending on the brand) is a must-have! Many friends in a natural living group said they use it whenever they start getting sick and as a natural cleaner. I've started adding a couple of drops when I make my homemade dishwasher tabs & love it!
What is your favorite way of using essential oils?