Sweet Orange Essential Oil is used for everything from a facial toner to pest repellent! Here are my favorite 20 Orange Essential Oils Uses! Plus 10 reasons you need to start using essential oils today! Already a fan of essential oils? Check out all the ways we use essential oils in our house!
Sweet Orange Essential Oil (Citrus sinensis) is another of my favorite citrus oils. It's very versatile, can be used in many beauty and body products, and has many health benefits.
For internal use, I recommend on sticking with orange juice and using the essential oil topically or in a diffuser. Internal use of essential oils has become extremely popular and due to my research, is no longer something I feel okay promoting. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to matters of safety. If you like to add orange essential oil to your water for health benefits & flavor, try slicing up an orange or two at the beginning of the week and use a slice in your water every day instead. I recommend Plant Therapy Sweet Orange or Aura Cacia Sweet Orange essential oils. I've used and love both.
20 Orange Essential Oil Uses
- Air Freshener: Air Freshener: Add 10 drops of each essential oil to your spray bottle: orange, clove, and cinnamon. Fill with water. Spray once or twice in each room of your home.
- Anxiety: Place a drop on your palm and rub hands together. Cup your hands over your nose and inhale during stressful times. If you are near your diffuser, throw a couple drops in to help calm your nerves.
- Blues: Dealing with a bad mood you can shake? Try diffusing essential oil. It is uplifting and helps get me back to me.
- Body Scrub: Try adding orange essential oil to your homemade body scrub. My favorite is this vanilla sugar scrub with orange eo!
- Bouncing Off the Walls: When we are having one of those days where the kids are very hyper, I love to diffuse orange essential oil. It has a mild sedative effect on most people and helps the kids calm down so they can focus on their schoolwork.
- Clear Skin: Try this recipe for a homemade facial toner using orange essential oil for clearer skin!
- Digestion: Because orange essential oil has an anti-spasmodic effort, it's great for dealing with occasional stomach cramps and can aid in regular digestion. Apply with a carrier oil over the abdomen.
- Disinfectant Spray: Add 10 drops orange essential oil and 1/4 cup white vinegar to spray bottle. Fill with water. Spray on door knobs and lightswitches at least once a week, more often if anyone is sick.
- Deodorant: Make your own homemade deodorant with just 4 ingredients! You can also use other essential oils if you prefer. This is one of my favorite essential oils uses in our home.
- Frequent Constipation: Add 20 drops of orange essential oil with 25 drops of a carrier oil and store in an amber bottle. During periods of constipation, apply 3 drops of your diluted oil in a clockwise rotation over your abdomen, following the path of the colon. Not sure where your colon is located? Check out this video that walks you through a colonic massage.
- Furniture Polish: Try making a homemade furniture polish with 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1 Tbsp olive oil, and 10 drops orange essential oil. Store in a dark spray bottle and spray on a microfiber cloth, then wipe down your wooden furniture.
- Garbage Disposal Freshener: Mix 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup course sea salt, 1/2 tsp dish soap (I really like Method's clementine), and 4 drops orange essential oil. Mix well and add a scoop (about a tablespoon) into your garbage disposal once a week. Add 1/4 cup white vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes. Then turn on the hot water and run the garbage disposal for 30-60 seconds.
- Hormonal Balance: Combine with a carrier oil and massage into the neck (front, sides, and back) to help regulate your hormones. This is great for anyone with a hormonal imbalance, going through menopause, or with really rough periods.
- Immune Boosting: Diffusing orange essential oil can help increase your immune system's ability to respond quickly and effectively. This is especially important during the colder months.
- Insecticide: Orange essential was used in a study to determine if it was a viable insecticide again a mealybug on grape vines. It was toxic to the mealybug but not to the grape vines – sounds like a win/win to me!
- Insomnia: I know this one sounds weird since orange is typically uplifting, but I've found adding a drop, along with Lavender and Peace & Calming, really helps me relax and fall asleep faster.
- Mild Aphrodisiac: Make your own homemade body lotion or massage when you or your partner need a little extra help.
- Mood Balancer: Diffuse 2-3 drops to receive the uplifting benefits of Orange Essential Oil.
- Mouthwash: Try this recipe for a homemade mouthwash with orange, clove, cinnamon, and ginger!
- Self-Esteem: Apply topically over the solar plexus every day, diluted with a carrier oil.
Applying citrus oils (or ingesting too much citrus juice) can cause photosensitivity or a sun rash, so after applying please limit your sun exposure for at least 6 hours.
Looking for more essential oils uses? Check out my favorite ways to use Frankincense, Lime, Oregano, and Grapefruit essential oils. Don't forget to leave a comment with your favorite ways to use orange essential oil below!
Even More Essential Oil Uses And Ideas:
- Homemade Muscle Rub With Essential Oils For Muscle Pain
- 20 Thieves Essential Oil Uses
- 20 Oregano Essential Oil Uses
- Essential Oil Blends To Use At The First Sign Of A Cold
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.