If you're a busy mom who needs a quick and healthy meal, this Panko Chicken Recipe is perfect for you. It's easy to make and it tastes great! This versatile dish can be served alone or with your favorite side dishes. The best part? You can have it on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Panko Crusted Chicken
What do I need to make panko-crusted chicken?
Here's a quick list of the ingredients you need to make this delicious chicken recipe! For full measurements and a printable recipe card, scroll to the bottom of the post. For substitutions, cooking tips, and side dish ideas keep reading 🙂
- Chicken breasts
- Cooking oil
- Garlic powder
- Seasoning salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion powder
How to make Panko Chicken Breast Tenders
Flatten your chicken breasts into even pieces. I like to place it in a gallon-size ziplock bag (I use reusable bags for most things but always disposable for raw chicken due to the ick factor) and then either beat it with a meat hammer or run the rolling pin on it. On high-stress days, the meat hammer is always my choice!
After you have flattened all of them, cut each breast into palm-sized pieces (about the size of a deck of cards or 3 ounces).
In a bowl mix together 1/2 of the flour, panko breadcrumbs, and your seasonings. In another bowl mix the egg and milk. In a third bowl, mix the other half of your flour with some salt & pepper. I don't measure this part since I use a grinder for coarser salt & pepper, heavier on the pepper.
I like to use shallow bowls that work well for dredging my chicken pieces easily.
Dredge each piece of chicken into the flour, then the egg mixture, and then into your seasoned panko bowl. After each step, make sure the chicken is completely coated.
Fry over medium to medium-high heat in preheated oil until golden brown on both sides and inside is no longer pink, approximately 6-7 minutes depending on your stove.
Remove from oil and let sit for 3-4 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
To make this panko gluten-free, we crush up gluten-free rice Chex and combine it with gluten-free flour and seasonings.
Need a low-carb/keto version? Friends have made it this with crushed pork rinds and almond flour. Use heavy whipping cream instead of milk for keto.
Tools needed to make this recipe:
This one is super easy to make! You only need a rolling pin or meat mallet, your favorite skillet, and a wire rack for cooling.
What to Serve with Panko Chicken Tenders?
This panko-crusted chicken goes great with a simple salad and your favorite bread. You can also change things up by serving with some of our favorite side dishes or your favorite dipping sauces.
Side Dish Ideas
We tend to dip our chicken tenders into every sauce available. I'm a fan of trying new combinations, while the kids are split between honey mustard and ranch. Spicy mayos and ketchup work great too!
What is panko?
Panko is a breadcrumb-like Japanese breading and coating. It can be made from various ingredients such as bread, flour, eggs, and cornstarch.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Love this recipe? Don't forget to check out more of our easy chicken recipes!
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker Chicken Soup Recipes
- Tex-Mex Style Slow Cooker Chicken
- Ranch Chicken Tenders
- 3 Chicken breasts
- 3/4 - 1 cup Cooking oil
- 1 cup, divided Flour
- 2/3 cup Panko unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Seasoning salt, Lawry's
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp Onion powder
- 1 large Egg, beaten
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- Pinch Salt & Pepper
- Place chicken breasts, one at a time, into a plastic bag. Flatten using a rolling pin or meat hammer until they are uniformly 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick. Repeat until each breast is pounded out. Cut breasts into palm-sized pieces.
- Mix together 1/2 cup flour, panko, salt, garlic powder, seasoning salt, cayenne, and onion powder. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix egg and milk. In another bowl, place 1/2 cup flour with a few shakes of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using a fork, dunk each piece of chicken first in the flour, then into the egg wash, and finally coat with the panko mixture. Make sure in each step the breast is coated completely. Fry over medium to medium-high heat in preheated oil until golden brown on both sides and inside is no longer pink, approximately 6-7 minutes depending on your stove.
- Remove from oil and let sit for 3-4 minutes on a wire rack before serving.