Looking for a delicious Paleo recipe for a freezer cooking session? This one is so easy to throw together, tastes amazing, and is full of vitamins & nutrients to please even the healthiest momma! Even better, the kids will love it and ask for it often. Even those that aren't a fan of beets normally will be asking for the recipe!
When you think about a hearty freezer meal, this Paleo Turnip, Beet & Beef Roast dish is a great example. Not only is it hearty and satisfying, but it is also a great option for freezer meals since it stands up to cooking, freezing, and reheating easily.
You can even set it up and use it for an easy meal by prepping everything and putting it in the freezer raw, to pull out and toss into your Crockpot and cook on low all day. Regardless of the method you choose, this is a beautiful and delicious freezer meal that everyone in your family will love.
Freezer Meal: Paleo Turnip, Beet & Potato Roast
If you are preparing this to freeze and cook at a later time, it is very simple to get started. Thoroughly wash all vegetables. If you prefer, you may spend some time peeling the beets and turnips at this point.
We leave the skin on them, but some prefer to remove it. Cut the beets and turnips into quarters, and place those in a large freezer bag with the meat and potatoes.
When you are ready to cook this meal, remove it from the freezer 24-36 hours before you would put it into the Crockpot. While it is sealed in a bag, you may want to thaw it in a dish just in case any juices dripped out.
Pour your bag of ingredients into your Crockpot the morning you want to make this meal. Add in the beef stock, onion puree, and red wine as listed in the directions below. Season to your preference with things like garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
You'll cook on low for around 8 hours, but some slow cookers will run hot and may need to stop cooking earlier or cook on a higher heat setting.
Freezer Meal: Paleo Turnip, Beet & Beef Roast
- 1 bottom round roast the weight will depend on your personal needs.
- 2-3 medium to large fresh beats
- 2 large turnips
- ½ of an onion pureed
- fingerling potatoes as many as fits/you would like
- 3 cups beef stock homemade is best
- 1 cup organic dry red wine
- Thoroughly wash all of the vegetables, you may choose to peel the beets and turnips or leave them natural.
- Cut the beets and turnips into quarters, place in the large freezer bag with the meat and potatoes.
- When ready to cook: remove from the freezer and place in the fridge about 24 to 36 hours before putting together in the crockpot.
- Pour 3 cups of beef stock into the crock along with ½ cup onion puree and ½ to 1 cup dry red wine. Season to your preference, cook on low for 8 hours (depending how hot your crock pot runs).
Found a bunch of meat on sale & want to freeze it but not sure what to make? Check out some of our favorite tips on how to freeze meat!
This turnip, beet, and beef roast is a great hearty meal that everyone in your family will love having. Those kids (or adults!) that think they won't like beets or turnips will quickly change their minds with this delicious roast.