When you think of freezer meals you don’t often think about desserts or treats but here is one of our favorite Freezer Treats. These Caramel Apple Hand Pies are a great easy-to-make and easy-to reheat snack that makes you feel like you have worked hard because they taste so great!
The crust is filled with juicy apples in a homemade caramel sauce. These hand pies are so easy to make and look great when served. If you're looking for a new fall dessert idea, try these caramel apple hand pies today!
Caramel Apple Hand Pies
They are especially nice if you are working on losing weight or limit your sweets intake, as they are so small and bite-sized you can grab just a few from the freezer, reheat, and snack on them or have a sweet dessert that isn’t too high in fat and calories.
Ingredients for Mini Caramel Apple Pies
4 Granny Smith Apples (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
½ Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
½ Stick Butter
1/8 Cup Water
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
How to Make Caramel Apple Hand Pies
In a large skillet, heat the butter, water, and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Add your apples and cook until they have softened. The sugar will turn into a bubbly caramel sauce, after about 7-10 minutes. Add your cinnamon & vanilla, then remove from heat.
I like to start by getting the filling going and then making the pie crust since it only takes a few minutes. If you aren't used to making your own pie crust, you can either do it first so you aren't worried about burning the filling or cheat by buying refrigerated crust. Use a glass, cookie-cutter, or biscuit cutter to cut 3-4″ circles in your pie crust.
Put about a teaspoon of filling inside each crust circle, fold over, and pinch to seal. Place your caramel apple pies about 1″ apart on a cookie sheet and bake about 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
Can These Caramel Apple Hand Pies Be Frozen?
These Caramel Apple Hand Pies can be allowed to cool and placed in plastic storage bags, double bagged, and labeled to be frozen. To reheat pop from the freezer and straight to the microwave for 60 seconds on high or in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 375 degrees. They are great served with a drizzle of caramel syrup, whipped topping, or ice cream.
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Stick Butter cut into small cubes
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water
- 4 Granny Smith Apples (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
- ½ Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- ½ Stick Butter
- 1/8 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- In a small bowl blend together flour, salt, sugar, and butter until crumbly and creating pea-sized pieces.
- Mix in ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until starts to form a ball of dough.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with ¼ cup flour and roll out to 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
- In a large skillet heat butter, water, and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add in apples and cook on medium-low heat until apples are softened and sugar has created caramel sauce. Approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Add in cinnamon and vanilla and stir until blended.
- Remove from heat.
Filling Assembly Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a round cookie cutter or small glass cut 3”-4” round circles of dough to be filled.
- Place 1 teaspoon filling inside each circle.
- Fold over and pinch to seal.
- Place 1” apart on a cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
These Caramel Apple “Fried” Pies can be cooled and placed in plastic storage bags, double bagged, and labeled to be frozen. To reheat simply pop from the freezer, straight to the microwave for 60 seconds on high or in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 375 degrees. They are great served with a drizzle of caramel syrup, whipped topping, or ice cream.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
- Andes Mint Chocolate Fudge
- Homemade Suzy Q's
- Chocolate Salted Caramel Bars
- Banana Cream Pie
- Boston Cream Pie Parfait
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.