Looking for a healthy breakfast that's both delicious and convenient? These Egg Muffins with Tater Tots are the perfect solution! Packed with protein and veggies, these egg cups will keep you energized throughout the morning. Plus, they're easy to make ahead and store, ensuring you have a nutritious breakfast ready to go on busy mornings.
- Egg Muffins with Tater Tots: A Healthy Breakfast Choice
- Pro Tips
- Variation Ideas for Egg Muffins with Tater Tots
Egg Muffins with Tater Tots: A Healthy Breakfast Choice
Eggs are a fantastic source of protein and essential nutrients. But if you're tired of the same old scrambled or fried eggs, these egg muffins with tater tots are a game-changer.
With the addition of cheese, ham, and green peppers, you get a burst of flavor in every bite. And the best part? They come in handy muffin cups, making them perfect for on-the-go breakfasts!
- Tater Tots
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Black pepper
How to Make Omelet Breakfast Bites
Preheat oven to 400.
Grease a muffin pan liberally with your favorite nonstick cooking spray or use silicone liners.
Place 3 frozen tater tots in the bottom of each muffin tin and bake for 10 minutes.
Remove and press the tots down to form a tater-tot crust using a glass or measuring cup.
Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
Remove from oven.
Reduce oven temperature to 350.
Top each cup with about 1/2 tablespoon of diced ham and 1/2 tablespoon of diced peppers.
Whisk together the eggs and milk and pour the mixture into each muffin tin nearly to the top.
Sprinkle each with a little shredded cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg is cooked.
Whether you are making these omelet breakfast bites for a quick breakfast for the week or you just happen to have leftovers, you will want to keep these in the refrigerator. Store them in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
How to freeze omelet muffins
You can also freeze these omelet muffins. To do so, prepare them as directed. Then wrap each individual omelet bite tightly in foil or plastic wrap. Place them in a freezer-safe container and store them for up to 3 months.
How to reheat omelet muffins
Remove the foil or plastic wrap. Place the omelet bite on a microwavable plate and heat for 20-30 seconds until warm. They can also be reheated in the oven. Place them on a baking sheet and heat for 4-6 minutes at 350 degrees until warm. Serve immediately.
- Prep Ahead: Chop all your veggies and meats the night before. This will save you time in the morning and make the assembly process smoother.
- Silicone Muffin Liners: Consider using silicone muffin liners instead of traditional paper ones. They're non-stick, reusable, and make for easy cleanup.
- Use a Cookie Scoop: When adding the egg mixture to the muffin tins, use a cookie scoop or a ladle. This ensures even distribution and minimizes spills.
- Frozen Veggies: If you're short on time, use frozen diced peppers or other veggies. They're pre-chopped and just as nutritious. Just thaw them and drain off the water first.
- Batch Cooking: Consider doubling or tripling the recipe. This way, you can freeze the extras and have breakfast ready for many days.
By incorporating these pro tips, you can simplify the cooking process and enjoy delicious Egg Muffins with Tater Tots with minimal hassle.
Variation Ideas for Egg Muffins with Tater Tots
Putting your own spin on the Egg Muffins with Tater Tots recipe is a fun way to make it match what you like to eat and what you need for your diet. This recipe is great because you can change it up in so many ways.
You can swap out the ham for turkey bacon or smoked salmon, or you can keep it vegetarian with a medley of your favorite veggies like spinach, mushrooms, green onion, and tomatoes.
For those who are dairy-free, opt for nutritional yeast or dairy-free cheese alternatives to still achieve that cheesy flavor. Spice enthusiasts might sprinkle in some red pepper flakes or cayenne for a kick, while fresh herbs like chives, parsley, or basil can add a burst of color and freshness.
If you're watching your carbs, consider using cauliflower tots instead of tater tots. The options are endless, and by making these small changes, you can transform the recipe to fit your lifestyle and palate, making these egg muffins a beloved staple in your breakfast repertoire.
What can I add in place of tater tots?
You can substitute tater tots for hash browns or breakfast potatoes. You can also use roasted potatoes instead of tater tots. Just dice them up and saute in oil until tender before adding the veggies.
How can I make this recipe more hearty?
If you want a more filling omelet, you can add in more meat or add in veggies. The muffins can only be so big, so what you can add is limited, however, things like spinach or mushrooms add flavor and bulk up the muffin cups.
Can I use a different cheese?
I am using shredded cheddar cheese because that is what my family likes. However, I have also made these omelet breakfast bites using American cheese, pepper jack, and Mexican cheese. It is all a matter of personal preference. Any cheese that melts well can be used.
Can I use another type of meat?
You can add just about any type of meat to these omelet breakfast bites. I am using ham, but you can use cooked bacon or breakfast sausage as a variation. You can also use leftover meats from dinner like ground beef, steak, or chicken. Be sure to cook the meat you are using before adding it to the muffin.
More Breakfast Ideas:
- Tattie Scones
- Breakfast Burritos
- Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Poppers
- Peanut Butter & Banana Quinoa Muffins
- 36 Tater Tots
- 1/2 cup diced Ham
- 1/2 cup diced Peppers
- 7 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease a muffin pan liberally. These tend to stick, so you can also use a cupcake liner, but add 5 minutes to 20 minute cook time.
- Place 3 frozen tater tots in the bottom of each muffin tin and bake for 10 minutes.36 Tater Tots
- Remove and press the tots down to form a base using a glass or measuring cup.
- Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350.
- Top each cup with about 1/2 tablespoon of diced ham and 1/2 tablespoon of diced peppers.1/2 cup diced Ham, 1/2 cup diced Peppers
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture into each muffin tin nearly to the top.7 Eggs, 1/4 cup Milk, Salt to taste, Pepper to taste
- Sprinkle each with a little shredded cheese.1/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes or until egg is cooked.