In the autumn I always crave pumpkin pie, but making a pie seems so daunting. If you love the taste of pumpkin spice but don't want to go through all the trouble of baking a pie. These one-dish Pumpkin Butterscotch Bars recipe is just the thing! It is easily whipped up with ingredients you probably have on hand and is a perfect easy dessert or snack for this time of year.
Rich pumpkin, warm spices, and wonderfully gooey butterscotch sauce round out this trio of autumnal delights.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 stick butter 1/4 cup
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice or nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the caramel topping:
- 4 oz butterscotch chips
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Cream together the brown sugar, butter, and egg.
- Slowly fold in the pumpkin puree and spices, until the batter is completely combined.
- Pour into a greased 9"x9" baking pan and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. The edges should be just beginning to brown and a knife poked in the middle should come out clean.
- Cool in the baking pan.
- To make the butterscotch sauce, microwave the butterscotch chips in a glass bowl for 1 minute, stirring once in the middle.
- Add 1-2 tbsp milk to the melted chips and whisk together thoroughly until you have a deliciously gooey butterscotch sauce.
- When the pumpkin bars are cooled completely, drizzle them with the butterscotch sauce and serve warmed.
You may want to double the recipe. Every time I make these at my house they are gone within a day. Don't worry, though, you can put these Pumpkin Butterscotch bars in the freezer and they freeze beautifully. Just take them out and warm in the microwave for a few moments before serving.