One of our family favorites is a pot roast dinner. Garlicky mashed potatoes, carrots, homemade dinner rolls, and a rich beef gravy – YUM! The easiest way to do it is by using the crockpot. Throw everything in it in the morning, turn it on low, and at dinnertime you only need a few minutes to have a delicious dinner ready to serve!
Start by seasoning your roast. I like to keep it simple and use garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt, but you could use a beef rub, seasoning salt, or whatever you prefer.
Heat a skillet (I love cast iron) and add a couple tablespoons of your favorite oil. My husband is partial to using either olive or peanut oil, but I like to use coconut oil when he’s not looking. Sear the meat by browning on each side
Chop or slice an onion and throw it in the crockpot while you wait for the beef to brown.
Place some peeled carrots around the roast, and then peel, wash, and cut up some potatoes. Put them on top of the roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. You can cook it on high for 4-5 hours, but I think the meat texture is better when its done slowly.
Take the potatoes out once they are cooked through and mash. I like to use butter, milk, a little cream cheese, roasted garlic (or garlic powder). Put the mashed potatoes into the fridge until the roast is done, fork tender.
Once the roast is done, transfer the juices to a skillet and simmer. Whisk in a basic roux (I normally do a cornstarch slurry, but you can do butter & flour if you prefer) and cook until it has thickened to your desire. Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Serve the roast with carrots, mashed potatoes, and your favorite homemade rolls!
- 3-4 pounds roast
- 1 onion
- 1.5 cups red wine
- 7-8 large potatoes, peeled, cut in half, and washed
- 5-6 large carrots
- ¼ - ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup flour or cornstarch
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- ½ cup cream cream
- ¼ - ½ cup milk
- Season roast with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Brown both sides in a hot pan with a few TBSP of oil.
- Cut up a large onion and put in bottom of the slow cooker. Place browned roast on top of onions.
- Deglaze pan with 1.5 cups of red wine. Simmer for 1 minute and pour over roast/onion in slow cooker.
- Place carrots around roast and potatoes on top of the carrots. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- Remove potatoes and mash with milk, butter, cream cream, salt, pepper, and garlic. Keep warm.
- Remove liquid from slow cooker and bring to a simmer in a pan. Thicken with roux/cornstarch slurry and serve over roast and mashed potatoes.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.