I've been blessed with four boys that will eat pretty much anything you put in front of them, but they all have their favorites. For the twins, Baked Cheddar Chicken tops the list!
First, crush your crackers and panko together and set into a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, beat your egg with 1/2 cup of milk. Place your shredded cheese in another dish. Spray your baking pan with non-stick spray. I like to line them up so it's easy to dip/coat my chicken. Once everything is ready, cut your chicken into large chunks. Dip the chicken into your egg mixture and then roll it in the cheese dish, then carefully roll in the breading mix. Make sure to use one hand for wet and one to dry to avoid a complete mess. After you roll it in the breading mix, set it in your baking dish and resist the urge to wash your hands after every piece. I may have sprinkled the leftover cheese between the chicken pieces, because the boys would tar and feather me if they caught me throwing away a single piece of cheese! Drizzle the chicken with a bit of olive oil, and place into a 400 degree oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. While the chicken is baking, melt some butter in a non-stick pan and heat until melted. Add your flour to the melted butter, and whisk until all the lumps are gone. Cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add 2 tsp of parsley and 1/4 tsp sage. Next add 2 cups of hot water, and 2 tsp of condensed chicken base. Add 2-3 TBSP of Marsala wine. (If you don’t have Marsala, a dry white Chardonnay would work, as well as Sherry in a pinch.) Cook this mixture until it is thickened, and then add approximately 1/2 cup of heavy cream, and 1/4 cup of sour cream. Stir until mixed, and reduce heat to low. If you need to add more water because the gravy is too thick, don’t be afraid to do so. These kinds of sauces are very forgiving. If it is not thick enough. Make a cold water and flour roux, and add a little bit at a time while the mixture is simmering until it is thickened to your liking.
Keep the sauce warm until your chicken is done. Drizzle sauce over chicken, and serve with your favorite sides. We made garlic mashed potatoes and creamy balsamic green beans.Print
Baked Cheddar Chicken
- Category: Main Dish
- 4 large chicken breasts (cut into large chunks)
- 1 cup of crushed cheese-its
- 1 cup of crushed saltines
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 TBSP salted butter
- 3 TBSP flour
- salt (pepper, and garlic powder, to taste.)
- 1 tsp parsley
- ¼ tsp sage
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tsp condensed chicken base
- 2–3 TBSP Marsala wine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Coat chicken in egg wash, dip into cheese and press cheese onto chicken.
- Move carefully to the bread crumb/cracker mixture and coat with crumbs. Place in prepared baking pan.
- Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- While chicken is baking, prepare sauce by melted butter in a large pan.
- Add the flour and whisk to eliminate any lumps.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste.
- Add 1 tsp dried parsley and ¼ tsp sage.
- Add hot water, condensed chicken base, and Marsala to the sauce pan and cook until mixture is thickened.
- Add the heavy cream and sour cream and stir to combine.
Keep the sauce warm until your chicken is done. Drizzle sauce over chicken, and serve with your favorite sides. We made garlic mashed potatoes and creamy balsamic green beans.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.