This Patriotic No Cook Play Dough Recipe is just what you need to get kids in the spirit for days like 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Labor Day. It's so much fun to whip up a batch of this and play with your kids, and including the patriotic theme makes it versatile for many holidays and events! Plus, Play Dough is a great sensory and imaginative play activity for children. It's one of my favorite homeschool activities because they get to work on their fine motor skills, science, math, and art without even realizing they are learning! I love to read aloud while they play to keep the learning going too!
No cook play dough is my favorite to make. It's easy, takes very little time, and all four of my boys can actually measure and make this on their own. That makes it easy to manage on busy summer days when kids are clamoring for something new to do. We've made it in smaller batches, so that each kiddo could have their own ziplock bag to mix and added the food coloring in the bags before too. The recipe below is going to help make your kids happy this summer and give you another tech-free activity to add to your summer fun list!
Patriotic No Cook Play Dough Recipe
Supplies Needed for No Cook Play Dough:
Directions for making no cook play dough:
1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour and salt together.
2. Add the oil and cold water. Mix until well incorporated.
3. Remove the playdough from the mixing bowl and place on a flat, lightly floured working surface. Knead for about 4-5 minutes until a soft and elastic dough forms.
4. Divide the dough up into 3 equal parts and place in 3 separate bowls.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of red coloring into the first bowl. Knead for 3 to 4 minutes or until the color is evenly distributed.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of white coloring into the second bowl. Knead for 3 to 4 minutes or until the color is evenly distributed. You can always skip this step and just use the play dough as-is.
7. Add 1 tablespoon of blue coloring into the remaining bowl. Knead until the blue color is evenly distributed.
This no-cook play dough recipe can be stored in a plastic storage bag or container for up to a month. Just watch to make sure it doesn't get moisture inside or start molding. With this being so easy to make, you could easily throw away after using and create a new batch the next time your kids want to play.
Use in homeschool:
As with any craft idea we share here, I like to give you some ways to include it in your homeschool classroom. One of my favorite things to do with play dough is to encourage the senses. Sensory play is so good for all ages, and there is nothing better than using a no cook play dough to make that happen. Below are some of my other favorite picks for this patriotic themed homemade playdough recipe.
- Have children make the recipe and work on calculations and measuring skills.
- Read books about the upcoming patriotic holiday like The Night Before Fourth of July, Veteran's Day for Grandpa, or A Memorial Day Memory.
- Study history lessons on the first celebrations of these holidays. You can also use our 4th of July Learning Activities or the United States Unit Study to work with your children.
- Make other patriotic crafts or foods like these 10 Decor Ideas for the 4th of July or 10 Perfectly Patriotic Desserts to enjoy as a family.
Our Patriotic No Cook Play Dough Recipe is a great choice you'll love making with your children. Use this any time of year or alongside patriotic-themed homeschool lessons year-round!