You already know we love a good homemade playdough recipe, and this Coffee Homemade Playdough Recipe is a favorite of mine. I love my coffee in the morning, and what better way to have fun waking up with the kids than to give them a super fun playtime using a bit of leftover coffee?
This homemade playdough recipe is a wonderful sensory experience. Not only does it combine the hands-on textures and learning for kids that I love but it also includes the wonderful smell of coffee. You could easily make multiple batches of this over the course of a week to test out different flavors of coffee to see if your kids can recognize the different scents!
Coffee Homemade Playdough Recipe
If you aren't a fan of drinking coffee, you'll find that instant coffee can often be an inexpensive option. You may even want to just grab a $1 cup of coffee at your local convenience store for this project to save on costs and waste.
2 cups all-purpose flour ( I used wheat flour because that’s what I had on hand)
1/2 cup ground coffee
1 cup salt
1 cup hot coffee (hold the sugar and cream)
2 Tbsp. cream of tarter
1 Tbsp. oil-vegetable, canola, olive, whatever is in your pantry
- Stir together your dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients in and blend.
- It will be sticky as it cools, once it has completely cooled down it will be a rough play dough consistency. If you feel it’s too sticky add one teaspoon of flour at a time until it is the preferred consistency.
This coffee scented homemade playdough recipe is a great choice for any day your kids just want to get their hands in something messy, but you don't want to clean up a big mess. It's ideal for colder days when the temperature means your kids can't go outside to play. My boys love it because I also can serve them a cup of hot cocoa or decaf coffee with cream and they feel like they are having a really fun treat.
You can even add this to a homeschool lesson and create a fun lesson on where coffee comes from. Studying the coffee bean and the process of roasting and eventually grinding for coffee can be tons of fun for your kids. There are even some fun documentaries out there about the history of coffee that could give you a fun break from books while still learning!
Some fun books on coffee:
- All Because Of A Cup Of Coffee
- The Bug In Teacher's Coffee
- Uncommon Grounds: The History Of Coffee & How It Transformed The World
Not only do I love to drink coffee, I love the idea of using leftover coffee to make this fun and easy Coffee Scented Homemade Playdough Recipe. The kids and I can spend hours playing and creating tons of designs with our homemade playdough recipe! The best part? You can enjoy the sensory experience of coffee scented homemade playdough with your kids.
More Fun Sensory Play:
- Hot Chocolate Playdough Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Scented Homemade Slime
- Sensory Activities: Valentine’s Day Dyed Rice
- Candy Corn Homemade Playdough Recipe
- Colorful Homemade Peppermint Playdough Recipe
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.