Hot Chocolate Playdough is a fun option when you need sensory activities for children. It lets them get their hands messy with a fun winter smell. Playdough is one of our favorite art activities because it is so versatile, but I'm not a fan of the smell. Using hot cocoa (or many other drinks) brings a new layer of fun and is a great base for a sensory bin!
Play dough is a wonderful activity for kids and kids at a heart. It builds fine motor skills, dramatic play, and can be the best sensory activity- appealing through sight, touch, and smell (while homemade play dough is safe I wouldn't recommend trying out the sense of taste). This fun Hot Cocoa Play dough will keep the kids busy for hours. It is also a fantastic use for K cups- whether you use the whole cup, cocoa included or keep your empty k cup to upcyle just for the mug portion. Grab a few items from your pantry and get started making this inexpensive and fun kid activity for the winter season and watch their imagination soar!
Hot Chocolate Playdough
Scroll down for the printable recipe!
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
3 Hot Cocoa K cups or 1/4 cup baking cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
Combine flour, salt, cocoa, cream of tartar, water, and coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to solidify and pull away from sides of pan- about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and flip dough out onto floured surface, allow to cool enough to touch then knead for 2 minutes until smooth.
Once dough is completely cooled it is ready for play. Store in an airtight container and it should last for weeks, I keep mine in the refrigerator when not in use to extend the life a little bit.
To make hot cocoa mugs:
Remove top seal from cup, wash and dry thoroughly.
Cut a chenille stem in half, then fold that in half and twist from top to bottom.
Bend each end a bit to form a D for the handle, place hot glue on ends of chenille stem, let it cool for just a couple seconds then press into sides of cup to create a mug.
Provide your child with cookie cutters, a roller, plastic butter knife, white pompoms for marshmallows, and cut up paper straws- this activity is guaranteed to keep them busy for hours. Hot Cocoa stand anyone?
More Sensory Play Ideas:
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Scented Homemade Slime
- Candy Corn Homemade Playdough Recipe
- Apple Pie Spice Playdough
- Colorful Homemade Peppermint Playdough Recipe
- Christmas Sensory Bin Ideas
Hot Chocolate Play Dough | Sensory Activities for Children
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3 Hot Cocoa K cups or 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Combine flour, salt, cocoa, cream of tartar and coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add hot cocoa and vanilla extract.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to solidify and pull away from sides of pan, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and flip dough out onto floured surface, allow to cool enough to touch then knead for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Once dough is completely cooled it is ready for play.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.