One of the top frugal tips I have for those trying to trim their food budget is that there are some foods you need to stop buying now. These foods are things that you can make for yourself without paying for the luxury of them being prepared already. Making your own sauces, mixes, and even things like tortillas are simple to manage with these great tips and recipes.
One of my favorite frugal tips is to stop buying things already made that you can easily make from scratch at home. The list below includes over 50 amazing recipes for things you often pay an arm and a leg for out of convenience. Not only can you save money making this for yourself, but you'll also be giving your family a healthier option!
Frugal Tips: 50+ Foods You Need To Stop Buying Now
- English Muffins
- Hamburger Buns
- Bread: This is just one of many amazing homemade bread recipes, but it is my personal favorite for sandwich bread.
- Pita Pockets
- Biscuits: There are so many types of biscuits I couldn't choose just one to share with you. MyLitter has a delicious 7Up Biscuits recipe you need to check out! Southern Kissed makes some delicious southern buttermilk biscuits. My personal favorite are these Maple Bacon biscuits.
- Onion Soup Mix
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Seasoning Mixes
- Baking Mix
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Chicken Broth
- Fajita Seasoning Mix
- Vanilla Extract
- Vegetable Stock Powder
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping
- Fruit Dip
- Veggie Dip
- Hot Sauce
- Ketchup: Here are 2 different ketchup recipes for you to try out!
- Salad Dressing
Snacks & Sweets
- Fruit Rollups
- Graham Crackers
- Nut Butter
- Popsicles: The are thousands of different juice bar recipes out there, but this is a great easy option!
- Protein Bars
- Ice Cream: Whether you are looking for something basic like Vanilla, Strawberry, or Chocolate or in the mood for something creative, there is no reason to pick up a pint of ice cream from the store. You can invest in an ice cream maker or try some no-churn ice cream recipes – like this Cookie Monster Ice Cream from MyLitter, Skinny Cake Batter Ice Cream, or my favorite – Cookie & Cream Ice Cream from Onion Rings and Things. Making homemade ice cream is one of the best frugal tips you'll find!
- Candy Bars: Everyone has their own favorite candy bar! However, not everyone loves how the cost of their favorite treat can add up or that almost all commercial candy bars have soy – which isn't good for this hormone challenged gal! Luckily, it's not that hard to make your own candy bars at home & there are some amazing copy cat recipes out there. Moms Need to Know has a delicious Crunch Bar recipe. These homemade Take 5 Bars truly are amazing! And of course, we can't forget my favorites! Sugar and Charm nailed the Snickers while A Sue Chef got the right combo of flavors and texture for Twix!
- Kefir: Kefir is delicious, very good for you since it is full of probiotics and pretty easy to make. You can make milk kefir or water kefir if you have any dairy sensitivity. Those are both basic recipes/instructions, but you can also try some fun combinations like this water kefir soda, kefir gummy treats, blueberry milk kefir, or coconut milk kefir.
- Kombucha: Kombucha has been one of my special treats to myself for a long time when I'm at Whole Foods, but I recently took the plunge & started making it myself. It's super easy, tastes amazing, and so good for you! Plus, like kefir, it's easy to play around with for some delicious flavor combinations the whole family will love! Start with a basic kombucha recipe if you've never made it before. Then dive into some of these fun combos like Hibiscus Kombucha, Berry Lemonade Kombucha, Root Beer Kombucha, or one of these 3 kid-friendly kombucha recipes once you feel comfortable!
- Baby Food: I highly recommend waiting until baby is truly ready before giving anything other than breastmilk/formula and looking into Baby Led Weaning. All of my children nursed for at least a year, but I did BLW with the twins & they are the least picky eaters in the world! I have yet to find a single food they do not like & very few combinations – almost 7 years later!
- Pizza: Mindi has a great recipe for easy homemade pizza dough! Plus, she has a link to her delicious pizza sauce in the post for you!
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Refried Beans
As you sort through our list of foods you need to stop buying now, you'll realize how this is one of the most obvious frugal tips out there. Making any food at home from scratch is going to be an easy and obvious way to save money in your budget. From your own homemade salad dressing to an easy batch of refried beans, this list is a great place to begin!
More Things to Make At Home:
- 50 Homemade Cleaner Recipes
- Frugal Homemade Cleaners
- Best Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipe Ideas & Body Products
- 21 Homemade Lip Scrubs
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Scented Homemade Slime
Andrea D Wiener
let me add one to your list – cream cheese – i make my own using cashews 🙂
Oh yum! Do you have a recipe you can share?