I love finding great homeschool books, but I especially love finding ones that are perfect for helping out my new homeschooling friends. Since I know how hard it can be to navigate this, in the beginning, this list is a great place to begin reading and understanding more about how to lead your kids in this homeschooling journey.
You may be asking what these homeschool books can offer that a blog or website can't. The truth is, a lot of these books cover topics you have found online, but they cover them in much more detail. They also serve as an easier way to learn while still staying available to your family and their needs as you read here and there throughout the day.
10 Homeschool Books For New Homeschool Parents
- 102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum – This is the updated version of the popular 101 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. This book helps you find the best curriculum for you and your kids based on your teaching style and your kids learning style.
- Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School – Sometimes you just have to piece together your own curriculum and unless you have done it before, it can be daunting even to the veteran homeschool moms. This is one of my favorite homeschool books to help you through the process.
- Beyond Survival: A Guide to Abundant-Life Homeschooling – Homeschooling is a journey, in this book one woman shares her homeschooling journey and gives you a list of all the resources she has built up over the years. It’s like a cheat sheet.
- So You're Thinking About Homeschooling – This book shares how 15 different families homeschool. Since no one family’s method works for another family, it’s great to get ideas to pull and develop your own homeschool routine and the confidence you need to face all the bumps in the road.
- Educating the WholeHearted Child – This book does have a biblical approach and if you aren’t taking a biblical stance in your homeschool take it with a grain of salt because the lessons in this book are still worth the read. They help you identify your child’s learning style, how to encourage your child to be self-directed and other great skills. For someone seeking a Biblical perspective, it's one of the top homeschool books you'll find.
- The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home – This book helps you put together a curriculum that will challenge your kids’ minds and help them succeed. This book helps you recognize the progress your child is making and how to fit your curriculum to how fast they are learning.
- Homeschooling for Beginners: Pros & Cons of Homeschooling Every Parent Should Know – If you are on the fence about homeschooling this book is a must read. Many books show homeschooling in this enticing glow and don’t mention the downsides of it but this book does. If you are going into something it should be with your eyes wide open.
- Homeschooling 101: A Guide to Getting Started – Getting started homeschooling can be overwhelming and seem like such a daunting task but this book gives you a step by step of how to get started, how to choose curriculum, create effective lesson plans, tips on scheduling and organizing your home and more.
- Don't Waste Your Time Homeschooling: 72 Things I Wish I'd Known – The best way to learn is from someone else mistakes. This book is an open book, literally, of mistakes others have made and things homeschool moms want you to know before you get started. It isn't meant to convince you to quit, but to help you know what obstacles you could potentially be up against.
- The Way They Learn – This book helps you pinpoint the best way your child learns and then helps you crafts a curriculum that will help them best and helps you learn how to teach them best.
As you begin looking for resources to help you in your journey, these are our favorite homeschool books to get you started. From learning about curriculum to helping you to see the big picture and potential issues down the road, this is a great place to begin learning more about the homeschool journey you are about to embark upon.