If you haven’t jumped on the coconut oil train, here are 10 of my favorite reasons to use coconut oil! Once you start using it, you’ll keep coming up with new uses for coconut oil!
Coconut Oil isn’t just for cooking! It is an extremely versatile product that you MUST keep on hand at all times. I’ve found one of the cheapest ways to buy it is on Amazon. I can typically find my favorite brand, Spectrum, for less than $0.40/ounce. Once you compare that to all the different products it replaces, you’ll see how much you are saving!
After we buy coconut oil, we split some of it into smaller containers to keep around the house. I have one in my bathroom, one in our first aid kit, one in the garage, one in the bedroom, and of course we keep a jar in the kitchen!
- Shaving Cream: Coconut oil is one of my favorite things to use while shaving. It seems to cut down on razor burn and doesn’t clog up my razor like some store-bought products.
- Sunscreen: Coconut oil is a natural sunscreen with an SPF of 4, without any of the added chemicals found in commercial sunscreens.
- Wooden Cutting Board Saver: Check out my post on restoring wooden cutting boards to find out exactly how I use coconut oil to keep cutting boards in great condition!
- Lubricant: Coconut oil works great for a household and garage lubricant. It also makes a terrific…umm, personal lubricant, if you get my hint.
- Cuts & Scrapes: We use coconut oil the same way many people use Neosporin. When one of the boys gets a scrape (which happens way too often with four little boys), I clean it, dab a bit of coconut oil on it, and bandage it.
- Mouthwash/Oil Pulling: Every day I start out my morning routine by washing my face & then putting a dollop of coconut oil in my mouth, swishing it around while I finish getting ready. It’s great for getting rid of morning breath and keeping your breath fresh all day. Plus, there are a lot of health benefits to oil pulling under debate. From personal experience, I believe oil pulling is a great way to keep your mouth healthy & it sure seems to help with my allergies.
- Deodorant: Coconut oil makes an effective, natural deodorant. You can just rub a little into your underarms or you can mix it with baking soda, cornstarch, etc.
- Lotion: Coconut oil is my favorite moisturizer. Unlike some store bought lotions, it doesn’t leave a greasy feeling and it works very well. Plus, there is that delicious light coconut smell.
- Bug Repellant: I mix coconut oil with essential oils like peppermint oil to help keep bugs at bay during the warmer months.
- Cooking: Instead of using vegetable or canola oil, I use coconut oil in almost all my cooking and baking. It adds different flavors depending on what herbs and seasonings you use and is a much lighter and cleaner oil than many more processed oils.
What are some of your favorite uses for coconut oil? Let us know in a comment below!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.