Eating healthy has never looked better than this delicious Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Hash Recipe! Done in 30 minutes, this grain-free Taco Turkey & Sweet Potato Skillet will be a hit for everyone in your family to enjoy! It's one of our favorite ground turkey recipes because it's so easy and delicious! Definitely, one you'll want to add to your meal plan!
Cumin is a must-have spice in our house. I use it in my homemade taco seasoning and am always looking for new ways to do tacos. My Whole30 Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes were the result of craving tacos like mad and being sick of taco salads.
But sometimes I want a simple one-pan meal for easy cleanup & to avoid turning on the oven. Thinking of tweaks led to this easy sweet potato skillet meal you'll want to add to your menu plan on a regular basis for busy weeknights!
This is an easy sweet potato skillet recipe to make in minutes. If you prep meals ahead of time, you can easily have your sweet potatoes peeled and diced in advance. Then, all you have to do is cook according to directions. A great 30-minute meal is a must for busy moms!
Taco Sweet Potato Hash with Ground Turkey
Ingredients for Taco Sweet Potato Hash with Ground Turkey
- Sweet potatoes
- Ground turkey
- Yellow bell pepper
- Mozzarella, shredded (omit for Paleo)
- Olive oil
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
AmazonFresh is a great way to get quality groceries delivered straight to your door! They offer a wide range of produce, nuts and seeds, frozen foods, pasta, meat, alcohol, condiments, snacks, canned foods, and more. In many areas, they have a wider range than most grocery stores. Sadly, it's not available in my area, so I get my groceries delivered from Walmart+ between trips to Whole Foods.
Directions for Taco Sweet Potato Hash with Ground Turkey
1. In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
2. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
3. Add onion and yellow pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften. Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
5. Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
Not everyone likes cilantro, so you may want to skip that part of this dish and add as a garnish that is optional. Otherwise, this is a great way to get kids to enjoy a sweet potato hash that is healthy, but full of the taco flavor they love.
Can I substitute ground beef or ground chicken for the ground turkey?
Yes, you can use whatever ground meat you prefer. I've never tried it with ground lamb or bison though, so leave a comment & let me know how it turns out if you try it!
Can I use green or red bell peppers instead of yellow?
Yes, you can use whichever colour of peppers you prefer. Sometimes I use a combination of different colours.
Do I have to use mozzarella cheese?
Yes, you could use cheddar, colby jack, or even pepper jack for a little extra kick.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it later?
Absolutely! This one's great for meal prep, whether you're doing it part-way or prepping the whole thing in advance.
Quick Prep: You can get a head start by cooking the meat and garlic ahead of time. Just season it and then pop it in the fridge or freezer. Go ahead and get the onion, sweet potato, and bell pepper ready too. When it's mealtime, just bring everything together, heat it up, and finish off with some melted cheese on top.
Full Prep: Simply follow the recipe step by step and once done, transfer it to an airtight glass container. It'll stay fresh for up to 5 days in the fridge.
How to Store and Freeze Leftovers
Once cool, freeze in airtight freezer containers. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then heat in a skillet or saucepan. Add a little water if needed.
What can I serve alongside this dish to make it a complete meal?
You can top it with your favorite taco toppings, such as lettuce, diced tomato, diced avocado, guacamole, black olives, salsa, hot sauce, corn chips, green onion, tortilla chips, or you could even be like my husband & add sliced cucumber.
Serve along with crusty bread
More Delicious Recipes:
- Stuffed Manicotti
- Healthy Stuffed Peppers with Ground Turkey & Barley
- Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- Scottish Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Apple Cider Gravy
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Hash
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup onion diced
- ½ cup mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften. Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.