I love a good steak, but they aren't exactly budget friendly – especially when you only buy grass-fed beef. The most cost-effective way to get a good deal on them is to go in with others and purchase a whole cow. Not an option? Watch your grocery store for deals or online at places like Omaha Steak.
Once you have your steaks, here's what you're going to do.
- Set your meat on the counter about 30 minutes to an hour before you're going to cook it. Season it with kosher salt, black pepper, and a little garlic.
- Heat up your cast iron skillet to really REALLY hot.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Let the fat get really hot.
- Add the steak and DO NOT MOVE IT. (Seriously. Put the tongs down. Look at your phone or something.)
- Using a spoon, spoon some of the oil and butter over the top of the steak.
- Turn the oven on to 450 or 500, whatever your highest setting is.
After 3-6 minutes on one side, flip it. The thicker your steak, the longer you wait.
- Immediately after you flip it, grab a hot pad and stick the whole pan in the oven.
- Wait 3-6 more minutes, and take the whole pan out of the oven and set it on the cold stove.
- Spoon more of the butter mixture over the top.
- WAIT 5 MINUTES (the hardest part)
Put your gorgeous steak on a plate, and add a pat of butter to the top and enjoy!