Apple Pie is one of my favorite desserts but it can be a bit time consuming. These mock apple pie cupcakes give you a similar flavor in a short amount of time!
These Apple Pie Cupcakes are an adorable dessert and fairly easy to make. You could cheat and use a box of spiced cupcake mix, but I never think they come out quite right compared to a from scratch cupcake recipe!
These cupcakes are bursting with cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove (the same spices I used in my apple pie) and use applesauce to lighten it up and give it a nice flavor. If you really wanted to go the extra mile, check out Baked By Rachel's Spiced Apple Pie Cupcakes! She removes some of the cupcake and adds homemade apple pie filling!
- ¼ Cup brown sugar
- ½ Cup granulated sugar
- ½ Cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground clove
- ½ Cup butter
- 4 Cups powdered sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons caramel syrup
- ⅓ Cup heavy cream
- Red food coloring
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, granulated sugar, applesauce and vegetable oil.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground clove.
- Mix just until all ingredients are combined. DON'T overmix.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the mixture among prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (a few moist crumbs are fine).
- Cook on a wire rack.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar together, in a stand mixer or large bowl.
- Add vanilla and heavy cream.
- Beat until smooth and spreadable consistency.
- Add additional heavy cream if needed.
- Separate the frosting into two separate bowls.
- Add in the red food coloring into one bowl and a splash or two of cream to make it easier to pipe.
- Add in the caramel syrup to the other bowl.
- Using a ziplock bag, add in the red icing and snip off the corner. Fill in the middle to the outer edges of the cupcake.
- Using a decorating bag with a star tip, add in some of the caramel icing and pipe stars around the cupcake.
- Using another ziplock bag, add in the rest of the caramel icing and draw line like you would with pie crust.
Love apples? You'll love this Pork Roast with Apple Cider Gravy I posted over on SavvyShopperCentral!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.