Before we went on the AutoImmune Protocol (AIP Paleo diet), dark chocolate with orange was one of our favorite snacks. Unfortunately chocolate isn't allowed on the protocol and the chocolate beasties just weren't going away! After trying the Coconut Date Rolls from Whole Foods on our way home, inspiration hit!
Carob powder is AIP approved and has a similar flavor to chocolate. Since dates are very sweet, we wouldn't even miss the sugar we'd typically add when making a chocolate concoction. By adding a little orange zest and using orange juice (freshly squeezed of course!) we were able to make something that tastes even better than our favorite chocolate bar! Two of my siblings are allergic to coconut and not on the AIP so we rolled theirs in powdered sugar. They both loved them!
- 20 Medjool Dates (pitted)
- 1/2 tsp Orange Zest
- 3 Tbsp Carob Powder (unsweetened)
- 3 Tbsp Orange Juice (fresh squeezed)
- Unsweetened coconut
- Puree dates, orange zest, carob powder, and orange juice in food processor.
- Form into little logs and roll in unsweetened coconut.
- Refrigerate leftovers, if you manage to have any!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330 Total Fat: 1.9g Saturated Fat: 1.7g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 4mg Carbohydrates: 104.5g Fiber: 7.9g Sugar: 74.3g Protein: 2.9g
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.