Bacon Gruyere Cheese Bread is one of our favorite homemade breads. Any recipe that combines bacon and cheese is sure to be a winner at our house!
Typically, I make this with Gruyere cheese but when I can't find it, sharp cheddar works too. Once, I tried adding some portobello mushrooms when I sautéed the onions and used Swiss cheese instead. It was pretty good, according to my family, but I'm not a Swiss cheese fan. It's a very forgiving recipe, so feel free to try different cheese or mix-ins!
Not only is it very forgiving when trying new flavors, it's so easy to make! Simply cook the bacon and then saute your onions in the bacon grease. I like to cook bacon in large batches in the oven to save time throughout the week (we go through a lot of bacon) and then store bacon grease in the fridge for use throughout the week. Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another. Combine together but don't overmix! Add in your onions, bacon, and cheese. Bake & enjoy!Print
Bacon Gruyere Cheese Bread
While many bacon breads use cheddar, this delightful bread uses Gruyere, which is a sweet and salty cheese that pairs perfectly with bacon. It’s harder than cheddar and melts fantastically.
- Butter to grease your bread pan
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- ½ pound bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter your bread loaf pan.
- Cook the bacon, and use the drippings to sauté the onions.
- Chop the bacon when it’s done.
- Combine the dry ingredients in one large bowl and the wet ingredients, without the onions, cheese and bacon, in another.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine. Don’t over mix.
- Gently fold in the cheese, onions, and bacon and pour into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Enjoy!
You can alter this recipe to use cheddar if you prefer a creamier cheese.
Other Bacon or Cheese Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.