Whether you are looking for a way to soothe a bug bite, calm an earache, make some homemade body products, or just unwind at the end of a busy day, Lavender Essential Oil is a must-have! Make sure to save these 20 uses for Lavender Essential Oil for future reference!
Not only does lavender smell amazing and put you immediately into a zen-like state (okay maybe not immediate, but it is amazing!) but it also has a multitude of other uses in it’s innocent looking little bottle. From earaches to sunburn Lavender essential oil is, in my opinion, one of the most important oils to have in your home. Alone or paired with other oils it can replace the majority of your medicine cabinet. Lavender is also an antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, and antifungal- making it a very important oil to use in your home to help fight off issues before they start.
For internal use, I recommend on sticking with homemade lavender tea or some lavender kombucha and using the essential oil topically or in a diffuser. Internal use of essential oils has become extremely popular and due to my research, is no longer something I feel okay promoting. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to matters of safety. As always I recommend you purchase a 100% pure oil.
20 Ways to Use Lavender Essential Oil
- Earaches: Rub lavender behind the ear and down the jawline. Top with a warm compress to aid in pain and draining tubes.
- Sunburns: Dilute lavender essential oil in a spray bottle with water, spray as much as you like over sunburned area for relief, and skin healing.
- Shingles: Use it to treat pain and itching from shingles when applied to affected areas.
- Anxiety: Inhale directly from the bottle, apply to your shirt collar, diffuse
- Fever: You can apply directly to temples and also add to a lukewarm bath to help break a fever.
- Allergies: Mix with lemon essential oil, peppermint essential oil, and a carrier oil such as coconut, apply to temples, back of neck several times a day.
- Ringworm: Rub oil directly on the site a few times and within days it should be completely vanished.
- Insect Bites: Apply directly to bite for instant itch relief.
- Scrapes/Cuts: This is probably the number one use for lavender EO in our house. The boys call it the ow oil & want a drop whenever they get hurt. With 4 boys, I make sure to keep a few bottles on hand for them!
- Deodorant: Use Lavender essential oil with a combination of coconut and baking soda to create a natural deodorant that is safe and free of unpronounceable chemicals.
- Respiratory Infections: Diffuse lavender in your home, apply to nasal passages as well as neck and chest.
- Tension Headaches: Rub diluted oil on temples and back of neck. Works great when combined with peppermint!
- Diaper rash: Make this homemade lavender diaper rash cream from Six Dollar Family!
- Laundry soap: If you make your own cleaning products, lavender is a wonderful addition to the basic mix of washing soda, Fels Naptha, and Borax. Giving a clean and calming smell to all your laundry.
- Chapped lips: Mix a few drops with coconut oil and rub directly on lips as needed for a healing moisturizer.
- Bedtime helper: Bathing your child in a warm bath with a few drops of lavender, and also lightly spraying their pillowcase with lavender can help them fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Healing scar tissue: Apply several times a day throughout healing process to help reduce scarring.
- Hair loss: Lavender essential oil has been tested to be effective for stimulating hair growth when massaged into scalp daily.
- Motion sickness: It can be helpful with minor motion sickness symptoms- experiment with applying lavender to your wrists, temples, behind the ears, etc to see where it helps the best.
- Homemade bath salts: Make your own by stirring together 1 cup epsom salts, 1/2 cup baking soda, and lavender essential oil to desired strength.
What’s your favorite way to use Lavender essential oil?
More Essential Oil Uses:
- Essential Oil Blends to Use at the First Sign of a Cold
- Essential Oils to Wake You Up with a Smile
- 20 Frankincense Essential Oil Uses
- 20 Grapefruit Essential Oil Uses
- 20 Lemon Essential Oil Uses
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.