If you are a fan of Panera's Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup, then this easy broccoli cheddar soup recipe will be a hit in your kitchen. I love easy recipes, and this one is perfect to serve in a yummy bread bowl.
Bread bowls start showing up in the fall in our local markets, so check yours to see if you can find a nice bowl like the ones shown, or make your own homemade bread bowls. If not, this soup serves beautifully in a bowl with crackers or crusty bread on the side.
We like to use homemade stock and broth in recipes, but I don't always have that on hand. I do recommend using a good organic free-range chicken stock if you have to buy stock instead of making your own.
We are big advocates of making your own products instead of buying them in-store when possible. I have a list of over 50 foods you need to stop buying and make at home. This saves so much money and is always way healthier.
Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
First, grab everything you're going to need and wash your produce! My kids have a habit of trying to skip that step or rush through it, so I prewash everything after I shop and then just give it a quick rinse when I need it.
Ingredients for Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Onion, chopped
- Butter, melted
- All-Purpose Flour
- Half and Half
- Chicken Stock
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Cut your carrots into small strips. I like using a swivel vegetable peeler for this. It makes the pieces evenly cut and small enough that even the pickiest eaters won't notice extra vegetables in the soup.
Next, you will break the broccoli into small pieces. This is a great job for the kids to help with, or, like mentioned above, to do ahead of time when you wash and prepare vegetables for the week.
Set your prepared vegetables aside and heat the butter in a small stockpot. You'll saute your onion and then prepare a roux. If you haven't made a roux before, it is simply a process of adding flour to melted butter, then whisking to add to stock. Similar to a gravy, only often used as a base for your soups and sauces.
Add your half and half & chicken stock, then simmer for about 20 minutes. Add your veggies and cook for another 25 minutes.
If you like a smoother soup, an immersion blender works great. Finish by adding your cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper!
This broccoli cheddar cheese soup recipe is a great option for a delicious warm winter evening meal. With the great cheesy base, even kids that don't like vegetables will enjoy this great soup.
Make in batches to serve throughout the week, or just for special occasions. It is great in a bread bowl, but delicious even when you simply serve with crackers or crusty bread.
More Soup Recipes:
- Crockpot French Onion Soup
- Paleo Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Gluten Free Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- InstantPot Buffalo Chicken Soup
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Butter melted
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cup Half and Half
- 2 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 heads Broccoli
- 2 Carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 8 ounce Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon Pepper or to taste
- Cut carrots into small strips.
- Break apart broccoli florets into small pieces.
- Saute Onion in 1 tbsp of melted butter until transparent.
- Make a roux using the remainder of melted butter and flour. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in half and half stirring constantly.
- Add in the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add vegetables and cook for 25 minutes over low heat.
- If you want a smooth soup, at this point puree in a blender and return to heat or use immersion blender.
- Add cheese and nutmeg.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.