I love convenience foods, but not the preservatives that come with. Every month, I try to master a new recipe that’s easy to pull out of the freezer. One of my favorite freezer recipes is bean burritos – they are so versatile and only take about 2 minutes to warm up in the microwave. they are also rich in iron and increase dietary fiber. My starter recipe is your basic bean burrito. I modify this recipe and add beef, chicken, peppers, onion…basically whatever sounds good!
- 4 Cups Pinto Beans Cooked (beans only with ½-3/4 cup juice) – Cooking instructions below.
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 10 Medium Flour Tortillas
- Place 1 pound dry beans in slow cooker
- Cover with 6 cups water
- Stir in 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours.
- BEAN BURRITO PREP!
- Pour beans, cumin, paprika, and chili powder into large skillet.
- Using potato masher mash beans until most are pureed with only a few small chunks remaining.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat for 4-5 minutes adding cheese in right before you turn off and remove from heat.
- Allow to cool.
- Place tortilla on large piece of plastic wrap (enough to cover burrito and wrap securely).
- Spoon ½ Cup of the bean mixture onto the center of tortilla.
- Fold tortilla over bean mixture and roll to form burrito.
- Wrap with plastic wrap covering burrito completely.
- Place plastic wrapped burrito onto center of aluminum foil sheet. Wrap this over burrito creating a secure second layer protection from freezer burn. Place wrapped burritos into labeled gallon sized freezer bag and freeze lying flat.
- TO REHEAT!
- Remove from freezer. Remove aluminum foil and plastic wrap and place on the center of a microwave safe plate. Heat on high for 60 seconds then rotate and heat for an additional 60 seconds or until heated through.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.