Looking for a fun St. Patrick's Day dessert? These Somewhere Over the Rainbow gluten-free cupcakes are sure to thrill any kid!
They'd be great for a class party, an after-school treat, or as part of your holiday celebration. The kids will love helping put on the rainbows and clouds!
We have been trying to go Gluten Free whenever possible lately and I've noticed quite a few changes in the boys behavior when they go a week or longer without any gluten foods. Unfortunately, in our rural area, gluten free isn't so easy to do.
I've been having to make a lot more things from scratch and it means no more boxed cupcake mix (GRRR), so I had to find a good gluten-free cupcake recipe that wasn't too complicated yet tasted great. This vanilla cupcake was the result (I'm still looking for a good chocolate one, so if you have one please leave a comment with the link)!
Gluten-Free Cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day
Since it's almost St. Paddy's Day, we couldn't resist having fun with them & creating Somewhere Over the Rainbow Cupcakes! The decoration was really easy. We just used green food coloring with our gluten-free icing recipe, rainbow airheads, and marshmallows.
For another set we did later (no picture up yet sorry!), we cut Caramel Milky Ways into pieces and sprinkled them with gold candy dust for a “pot of gold” instead of the marshmallows.
Note: Unfortunately, the decorations aren't gluten-free. When we first started seeing how gluten-free worked for us, I had no idea how many things had gluten hidden in them.
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Milk
- 2/3 cup Safflower Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Applesauce
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Stir flour & baking powder together
- Mix milk, oil, sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and salt
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix about 2 minutes (until smooth)
- Fill each cup with about 1/4 cup of batter
- Bake for 17 minutes (toothpick should come out clean)
- Let cool a few minutes and move to cooling rack
- Now for the fun part!
- Once your cupcakes are completely cool, you can decorate them! For the Somewhere over the Rainbow cupcakes icing, please see the recipe below!
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- green food coloring I prefer the gels
- Combine cream cheese & agave until well blended.
- Whip in cream (a little at a time) until the frosting thickens to the consistency you would like.
- Add food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until it reaches the color you would like
- To create the grass-like texture, place frosting into a piping bag and use a multi-opening tip – 223
Don't forget to check out these other great St. Patrick's Day recipes we found & let us know which one is your favorite!