One of my favorite recipes is my Chocolate Salted Caramel Bars but they definitely don't qualify as healthy so they are a rare treat. I needed to come up with something that I felt okay eating a little more regularly, so these Caramel Apple Chocolate Oatmeal Bars were born!
One of the reasons I like the Chocolate Salted Caramel Bars so much is the combo of sweet and salty, chocolate and caramel. After scouring the internet for other chocolate & caramel recipes, I couldn't find anything that would satisfy my craving without putting a serious strain on my weight-loss goals. Some used packaged caramels, but by using the caramel recipe from my bars I was able to make a big difference in the calories & carbs. I also traded some of the butter for applesauce in the oat mixture, which cut down on the carbs too. Adding apple lets me pretend its a fruit dish to relieve some of the guilt.
- 1 stick salted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups quick oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk (1/2 of a 14 ounce can)
- 2 cups chopped apples
- ¾ cup Semi-Sweet Mini Morsels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9”x13” pan with butter and set aside.
- Mix salted butter, brown sugar, and applesauce together. Add flour, quick oats, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until butter is melted. Increasing to medium-high, bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce it to a simmer - stirring constantly. The mixture will start to thicken, and lighten up. Allow to cool briefly.
- Stir chopped apples & chocolate chips into the caramel mixture and fold into the oat mixture.
- Press into your pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely, cut into bars, and enjoy!