Finding a good, yummy gluten free baked item is like finding a diamond in the sand. Gluten free baked items tend to taste gritty, go flat, and just taste mostly inedible. This recipe for Gluten Free Strawberry Scones is both yummy and healthy! It’s a great way to add whole grains into your diet which is a hard task when you are gluten free. This recipe is also simple and freezes well so you can have some for later!
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- ¾ cup potato or tapioca starch
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups frozen strawberries (thawed and mashed)
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice flour, starch, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Soften the butter and cut into the dry mixture.
- Add in the sour cream, milk, and egg, mixing well after each addition.
- Add in the strawberries and mix until just combined (it’s ok to have larger pieces, they are yummy in the final product!).
- Pour into a greased 9/13 baking pan and bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top and edges are starting to brown.
- Excellent when served warm.
These Gluten Free Strawberry Scones make a great breakfast or brunch. Serve with coffee or your favorite hot drink! For an extra special treat you can whip up a small batch of cream cheese frosting and serve these for dessert!
Also as I mentioned above, these scones will freeze well so you can freeze half now (cut into pieces first) and save them for a later time, or make a double batch while you are at it and have plenty left for later!
What is your favorite scone recipe?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.