Strengthening your marriage is a commonly overlooked New Year’s Resolution! This year, we put together a list of 7 ways to strengthen your marriage. If you have trouble with one (or all) of these, make it a priority to work on this year and you’ll be far more satisfied than you would be losing a few pounds!
Even the best of marriages can use some extra TLC to take them from great to amazing. Whether you feel like you are soaring on cloud 9 with your spouse or as if the waters are a bit rocky, you can resolve to do a few things to improve it. No time like the present and with the New Year right around the corner, why not make some New Year’s resolutions that are reasonable and realistic to keep to make or keep your marriage strong. If you already do all these things, you are on the right track !
7 Ways to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Make a date night: Resolve to set and keep a regular date night once a week or once a month. If funds are tight just get creative with your ideas. Wine and cheese on the porch swing while the kids are with grandma, a hike in the woods, a trip to the home improvement store where you can spend some time together picking out your new project – anything to spend time together without the kids!
- Kiss hello and goodbye EVERY TIME: Whether separating for a long day at work or a quick trip to the grocery store make it a point to kiss hello and goodbye. Not a quick peck on the check while one of you continues to peck at the computer either. Stop what you are doing, look at your partner and give them 20 undivided seconds of your time.
- Hold hands: Sitting side by side on the couch or when you are out. Even if it is just for a minute or two, making an intentional connection to your spouse goes a long way towards bonding you together.
- Going nowhere touch: This is touch for the sake of connecting with your partner. Instead of touch done with the intention of heading to the bedroom, this is touch simply because you want to make your partner know how you feel about them. A great form of touch is a hug! Try giving your partner a 20-second hug every day and see how much closer both of you feel.
- Embrace Technology: In this modern age of technology use what you have, texting and emails. They don’t need to be sexy messages, just thinking of you, words of encouragement and appreciation. Especially if you are both busy and on the go, a sweet message in the middle of the day lets them know you are thinking about them and makes them stop and think about you.
- Find Common Interests: A hobby like wine or beer tasting, jogging, crosswords, or ballroom dancing-corny yes, but spending a little extra time together doing something you both enjoy builds your relationship.
- Forgive: “Don’t go to bed mad” good, sound advice from our mothers that I think still has it’s place. While sometimes it is just too much to forgive before bedtime don’t let hard feelings linger too long. Commit to talking it out, or stepping away from the situation. Whatever works for your relationship, and hastens forgiveness.
What are some of your favorite ways to stay connected with your spouse?