I've been experimenting with new spices and having some hits and misses. Spices are a fairly inexpensive way to boost your pantry – with a full spice cabinet, chicken and potatoes can taste different every night of the week.
I recently purchased some fennel seeds and hadn't found the right way to use them. I've always disliked it when I'd had it at restaurants, but those cooking shows swear by it – so I bought some to experiment with.
I used very little in this recipe, and while I could still taste it, it wasn't as overpowering as I'd previously experienced, and I actually really liked it. Now I know that I like fennel, but only in small doses. If you enjoy the taste, feel free to add more, of course! I used my cast iron skillet for this but any oven safe dish will work!
Tuscan Chicken Skillet
- 1 tsp crushed rosemary
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 good-sized russet potatoes, cubed
- 3-4 carrots, chopped how you like them
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 450
- Mix the spices together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the meat, potatoes, carrots and onion with the oil. Then add the spice mix and toss until well mixed.
- Add the food to your skillet and put the skillet in the oven. Set your timer for 10 minutes and then turn the oven down to 350.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender, about another 20 minutes. Stir gently at least once.
- Take the skillet from the oven and add the butter and toss again until the butter is melted and all over everything. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.