Nothing is more soothing on a cold winter evening than a nice big bowl of soup. One of my favorite things about freezer cooking is that I can provide our favorite soups at a moment’s notice just by planning ahead, and this Easy Taco Soup freezer recipe is one of the best to have on hand. Not only is it a simple recipe that I have adapted from popular ones we have tried in the past but it is sturdy enough to freeze easily and quick to thaw and reheat. It provides the slight kick the adults look for in a chili or soup but is mild enough that all the kids enjoy eating it.Print
Easy Taco Soup for the Freezer
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 1 Can Mild Rotel
- 2 Cans Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 2 Cans Minestrone Soup
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Teaspoons Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- In large stockpot cook ground meat until browned and cooked through. Drain excess fat. Return to heat and sauté with chopped onion and crushed garlic for an additional 4-5 minutes or until onion is beginning to become tender.
- Add Rotel, Kidney Beans Minestrone Soup and water to stockpot and stir until well mixed. Add in cumin and chili powder.
- Cook soup on medium heat at simmer for an additional 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve if eating immediately or follow direction below for freezing.
FREEZER MEAL PREP
- Remove soup from heat and allow it to cool in stockpot until no longer piping hot.
- Place in storage container or stockpot with lid into refrigerator for 3-4 hours until thoroughly chilled.
- Remove from refrigerator and ladle into pre-labeled gallon or quart plastic freezer storage bags or labeled freezer containers.
- If using plastic freezer storage bags I recommend double bagging for safety. This prevents leaks and also provides an extra layer of protection from freezer burn.
- Place storage bags flat on shelf in freezer until frozen and then you may slide and store side by side standing up or in doors as needed using whatever method works best for your freezer space to utilize your space the best way possible.
When creating any meal for the freezer it is very important to follow proper cooling techniques for food safety. Never place a piping hot dish into the refrigerator or freezer. Not only do you instantly lower the temperature of your freezer or refrigerator putting other foods at jeopardy of not being at the proper temperature but if you have glass shelving you take a chance of it reacting to the extreme temperatures and breaking. Allow all cooked foods to cool safely to warm rather than hot then store in refrigerator until cooled before transferring to the freezer. This Easy Taco Soup Freezer Meal is one of our favorites to create because of its heartiness and durability as a freezer meal. Following proper techniques and labeling correctly will provide your family with home cooked and delicious meals every night of the week regardless of your busy schedule.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of our 30 Days of Freezer Cooking series!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.