Unless you want to pay $100 or more to buy Suzy Q's off ebay or go without, you'll need to make your own version of Suzy Q's now. I knew this recipe would be a big hit at our house as soon as I saw marshmallow fluff in the ingredient list. I was actually on the phone with my mother discussing it and my DS7 heard me tell her I just needed to grab the box & some fluff. He started jumping up and down & yelling “tell Nana to get the box” before zipping out of the room. He ran to the pantry & returned with a jar of fluff. Of course, he had no idea what a Suzy Q was but anything with marshmallow fluff is a great recipe to him.
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick of butter
- 1¼ c. powdered sugar
- 1¼ c. marshmallow fluff
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Prepare cake according to instructions on the box.
- While the cake cools, prepare the filling
- Mix butter, powdered sugar, fluff, and vanilla, on high speed until nice & fluffy.
- Cut cooled cake into rectangles.
- Cover half of rectangles with filling.
- Cover with other half.
I like to use Safflower or coconut oil instead of vegetable oil whenever possible. My favorite brand so far is Hollywood Safflower Oil. It has worked great in every cake & muffin recipe I've tried so far.
This recipe is an adaption from Suzy Q's for Susie K. Her filling is great, but I prefer to use the box cake mix to save myself a little time.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.