Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and these sausage, egg, and cheese make ahead breakfast muffins are a great solution for the on the go family.
Whether you are a busy mom trying to shuffle kids out the door for school, or a hard working stay at home mom who just wants to make one thing a bit easier each day these are a perfect make ahead breakfast muffin that everyone will love.
As you assemble these, you can adapt for your family needs. If you prefer things to be natural, you can make your own fresh hashbrowns instead of using a frozen or boxed variety. If you need to eliminate dairy, you can substitute a vegan cheese or simply skip cheese all together. For a lighter muffin you can use egg whites only, or even turkey or chicken sausage instead. I follow a Paleo diet, but the kids all tolerate cheese well, so I make up large batches of these for them with cheese & leave out the cheese on a few for me.
To prep for this recipe, you simply have to gather your ingredients, and brown your sausage. If you can find precooked sausage and easy frozen hashbrown potatoes, it is even easier to throw together. If you prefer making your own, it will take a bit more work, but still be rewarding.
Add your hashbrowns to the bottom of your muffin tins. Spread the hashbrowns up the sides of the tin to make a cup to pour the rest of your ingredients into.
Add in layers of cheese and sausage then cover with your egg mixture. A few minutes in the oven and you have great, easy make ahead breakfast muffins!
- 4 cups shredded hash browns, thawed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ pound sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- In a large bowl combine the hash browns, butter, salt and pepper.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill the cups about ¾ of the way full with the hash browns.
- Press with your fingers to mold the hash browns to the cups all the way to the top. Try to make the sides the same thickness all the way around for even cooking. Make sure there are hash
- browns on the bottom of the cup.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until they are starting to brown. Let cool slightly.
- Reduce oven to 350˚.
- Take half of the shredded cheese and sprinkle in the bottom of the cups. Repeat with half of the sausage crumble.
- Whisk the eggs together and fill the cups until almost full.
- Top with the second half of cheese and sausage.
- Bake until eggs are set, 20-25 minutes.
- To freeze: Let cool for two hours, then place muffins in a ziplock gallon bag until you're ready to enjoy. Microwave for a few minutes before serving for breakfast.
Since this is a great freezer friendly recipe, I like to make these sausage, egg & cheese make ahead muffins in double or triple batches. That means I can serve my family one day, and store enough in freezer containers to feed us multiple times throughout the month. Doing freezer meals for breakfast is a great idea!
You'll also love these posts:
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.