The chocolate beasties hit me late last night. You know, that insane craving for chocolate that just WON'T quit. I even made sure I took my magnesium in the morning (most food cravings are tied to a nutrient deficiency) and it just wouldn't go away. None of my normal chocolate recipes sounded appetizing so I started pulling things out & came up with these mouthwatering Chocolate Ovaltine Cupcakes!
I started with my basic chocolate cupcake recipe (you can use 1 cup of canola or vegetable oil, but I prefer the applesauce & safflower oil) and added a cup of coffee because coffee and chocolate go together so well! Something was still missing and then LIGHTBULB…Ovaltine!
I also modified a buttercream frosting I found online because it was too runny for my taste. I like a thicker frosting, but you can check out her recipe and see which works best for you! Use a piping bag (or cut the end off a ziplock bag) and your favorite icing tip and decorate however you want.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup rich chocolate Ovaltine
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup oil (I normally use safflower or olive oil)
- 1 cup strong hot coffee
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup half n half
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 3 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup rich chocolate Ovaltine
- For cupcakes, sift together dry ingredients and set aside.
- In mixer, combing applesauce, oil, coffee, half-n-half, vanilla and sour cream. Mix on low 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in dry mixture and mix on low until incorporated.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, and mix just until combined.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake at 350 for 10-13 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, put room temperature butter in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Sift in cocoa powder and powdered sugar, mixing and taking care not to leave lumps.
- Add vanilla & mix.
- In a different bowl, mix Ovaltine and heavy cream.
- Slowly add to butter mixture.
- Beat on high for 1-2 minutes, or until frosting slightly lightens in color.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.