Couponing as an answer to the question of how to save is becoming more popular every day. This is especially true thanks to shows like Extreme Couponing. It serves as a great way to save money, but there are absolutely ways to save money without couponing! It might seem a little harder at first, but the longer you keep at it, the more you'll realize that there are plenty of ways to save money without couponing, especially if you don't have the time or desire to coupon.
I love coupons, don't get me wrong but to save a lot of couponing, you need to be willing to invest a little money and a decent amount of time. I have a house to keep clean, four boys to raise & homeschool, and a business to run, plus I value the little sleep I get. I used to try and juggle everything, including following some amazing coupon blogs like I Heart the Mart (Go sign up for his newsletter or follow him on FB. He's hilarious and finds some amazing deals), but I just don't have time for everything & I found less time-consuming ways of saving that don't rely on me remembering to take my coupon binder to the store.
How To Save Money Without Couponing
Cut down on utility use.
A lot of times, when you're not worried about money, you can get in the habit of using way too much electricity, water, and gas. If you're trying to learn how to save money without couponing, it's time to start using your utilities more conservatively.
- Turn the lights off when you leave a room or the house. Unplug cords and chargers that aren't being used, and consider switching to more efficient lighting if you have the option. We use energy smart light bulbs throughout our home.
- To conserve water, cut down your shower time, or don't leave the water running while you brush your teeth, and don't waste any good water!
- To save on gas utility bills, make sure you're only using heat when you absolutely need to; otherwise, just bundle up in some blankets!
- Check out these tips on saving money on cable.
Set yourself a budget.
Setting a strong, successful budget can make a world of difference in saving money, especially if you want to save money without couponing. Consider making a spreadsheet with all of your bills and how much they cost so you can see what is leftover at the end of the month. If you must, spend a little on yourself, but put the rest in savings for a rainy day!
Start meal planning instead of eating out.
One of the best ways to save money without couponing is by meal planning! Spending money to make meals yourself is significantly cheaper than eating at fast food joints or restaurants, and you'll see a huge difference in your budget wiggle room once you start meal planning.
We have some great freezer meal ideas you can use to really make this easier. A small investment in quality freezer storage containers or a vacuum freezer storage system is recommended to truly make the most out of your food purchases.
Force yourself to save!
There are a few different methods of doing this, but to save money without couponing, you have to be dedicated to saving the money and not spending it frivolously! When people ask me how to stay in budget and get out of debt, I always tell them how to save money by really focusing on needs versus wants.
A few ideas include:
- Put $20 in a savings account from each paycheck.
- Create a jar to save cash in anytime you come across cash (if you deal primarily with plastic).
- Have some of your paycheck direct deposited into an account you can't touch every month.
Either way, it's important to really dedicate yourself to this so that you'll have something to fall back on. A savings account really is the best way to be financially secure.
Ultimately, knowing how to save money without using coupons is about being more aware of your spending habits. Write everything down, take a close look at how you're spending your money, and go from there! If you want to coupon too, that's perfectly fine & a great way to save some additional money.
Other tips for How To Save Money:
- How To Create A Successful Budget
- 10 Ways To Save Money On Car Insurance
- How To Manage Money When You're Broke
- Easy Ways To Build An Emergency Fund
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.