I love the convenience of hot pockets, but I can’t stand the chemical taste and all the preservatives in them. In order to offer my family a healthier option & still get that quick snack/lunch, I came up with a simple homemade hot pocket recipe. These are quick to make up, since you don’t need to proof the dough, and freeze wonderfully! Make up a large batch when you have time & throw them in the freezer so the kids can use one for a quick snack without worrying about all the extra ingredients in store-bought ones.
We've used Italian sausage, pepperoni, cheese, bell pepper, onion, and black olives. You may also use cooked and seasoned ground beef, all veggies or just cheese and sauce. These are very adaptable to your family preferences. Note: If using ground meat, make sure to drain any excess oil very well to prevent soggy bottom on pockets.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ½ cups flour (sifted)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray cookie sheet or pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl dissolve active dry yeast in warm water along with sugar. Let stand for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and oil slowly. Beat until smooth. If you have a standup mixer this is the perfect time to use the bread hook available. If not simply mixing by hand until forms a dough (somewhat sticky) works just fine. Set aside and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Dust a clean flat surface with flour and pat dough out until ¼ inch thick. Approximately 14”x 12”.
- Cut into 4 strips and each strip cut into 4 rectangles. Total 12 “pockets” will be created from this dough.
- On each rectangle of dough, leave a teaspoon or two of sauce, preferred toppings and cheese. Try to keep toppings centered in dough.
- Fold dough over from both sides meeting in middle and pinch along sides to seal. If dough is sticky, may need to use a spatula or flat knife to slide under pocket to lift and place on baking sheet.
- Bake pockets for 7-10 minutes at 375 degrees or until golden brown on top.
- Serve hot or allow to cool and place in labeled freezer bags to freeze for future use.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.