Some nights, I really don't feel like cooking but I hate ordering a greasy pizza or loading everyone up to run through the drive-thru. Luckily, we almost always have everything we need for a Greek Salad on hand. One of our favorite versions uses lemon juice & olive oil instead of dressing. If we are using it as a main dish, I'll make it over a bed of spinach or romaine, otherwise it's a lettuce-free salad.
I'm pretty sure my favorite part is that it takes less than ten minutes, from washing the veggies to setting the table! Nothing better than a quick, healthy dinner on a hectic night when you're counting down until your children go to sleep!
Greek Salad with Lemon and Basil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 large cucumber halved & sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup black olives
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 2 to 3 ounces feta thickly sliced or cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs basil roughly chopped
Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, pepper, onion, and olives is a serving bowl. Squeeze juice from 1/2 a lemon over the top.
Add feta cubes/slices, as neat or messily as your helpers allow.
Drizzle olive oil over the top.
Sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper.
* If you aren't a fan of raw onion, squeezing lemon juice on the sliced onion and letting it rest for a bit will help soften the flavor.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.