Is the mess around your home driving you crazy? Are you struggling to get organized but just have too much stuff in the way? Decluttering doesn't have to be overwhelming or take up a full weekend. These tips will help you declutter your house in only 15 minutes a day!
Welcome to Day 2 of 31 Days to an Organized Home! Today, we are going to focus on clearing space so you can get organized. You can NOT organize clutter, so we have to get rid of it first. For some people, tackling it a room at a time works best. For some people, tackling things by the type of item works best. If you think either of those routes would work best for you, I recommend reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.
My husband is an all at once person and wishes I had found that book years ago. We will be using that method to go through my in-laws apartment when we move my FIL in with us, but I used the 15 minute method to tackle my house. Some days were more like 10 minutes and occasionally I had a child-free night & spent an hour or two working through the house.
Decluttering Tips & Tricks
- Start Somewhere: If you want to declutter your home, you have to start with baby steps. Baby steps are okay because they help you get to the bigger steps. That pile in your corner? Get rid of one or two items a day. Slowly you will see that clutter in the corner disappearing.
- Get More People Involved: One person decluttering a house will take a while. However, a whole family decluttering a house for 15 minutes a day, every day, will really shrink the extra items in your house. What are you waiting for? Recruit everyone and anyone in your house who is willing to help. Bribery is a great tool to use here!
- Don’t Stress: You know those declutter missions that you start but don’t continue with? Don’t let this happen again. If you come across a day where you do not have the time or energy to declutter, then skip it. Do not force yourself to declutter that day if you are against it. Sometimes your brain just needs a break from thinking about organization or clutter.
- Set a Timer: You have probably heard this tip over and over again, but it’s a great one. If you want to hold yourself accountable with the amount of time you spend decluttering, then set a timer. Setting a timer is like setting yourself up for success. You know you have 15 minutes to declutter as much as you can. Make a mental game out of it and declutter, declutter, and declutter some more!
- Pick Out Mini Tasks: In your mind, you probably want to declutter everything, but here is a great tip. Simply think of a few areas you would love to declutter first. When you have these areas picked out already, you can get started right away on your fifteen minutes of decluttering a day. Spending a lot of time thinking about “where” you will get rid of items will only hinder your progress.
With these tips, you will be able to spend 15 minutes each day decluttering your home. Remember to take a deep breath and realize that getting rid of “items” or “junk” takes time. You have to take small decluttering steps, so you can eventually see bigger progress.
Have you ever decluttered a space successfully while doing the 15 minutes a day method? If you have, please share your tips. We’d love to hear them!
Looking for more ways to get organized? Check out the entire 31 Days to an Organized Home series!
Are you looking for more tips beside what is being shared in the 31 Days of Homeschooling Tips for Moms? I would love to invite you the community inspired by this series, as we strive to inspire, encourage and empower our readers in everything homeschooling.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.