These Chocolate Cookies with Chia seeds are a great afternoon snack and an easy way to sneak in a little extra iron & fiber! Plus, they taste amazing and your kids will never know they are good for them!
Chocolate is one of my favorite things, right after coffee, but most chocolate recipes (like my Chocolate Salted Caramel Bars) aren't very good for me. Since treating my body right is a priority now, I've been revamping our favorite recipes and finding ways to sneak in more healthy ingredients. Enter Chia Seeds!
Chia Seeds are high in omega-3, fiber, and are a great source of potassium, calcium, iron, and phosphorus. They have almost no flavor & absorb the flavors around them so they are extremely versatile. This is why you can easily add them into sweets, like these delicious chocolate cookies! These make a great snack for those who are trying to lose weight, because the chia seeds will make you feel more full. Cheating on your diet has never tasted so sweet or been so good for you!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ + ⅛ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅛ cup special dark coco powder
- ¾ cup soft butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ to 1 cup chia seeds (for top, not a mix in)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside. Cream together butter, sugars and eggs for until smooth, add in the coco powder.
- Slowly start to add in the flour mixture.
- Carefully roll the dough into balls that are about 1-1.5 inches around. Then dip one half of the dough into a shallow dish with the chia seeds in it.
- Place on the tray, seeded side up, about 3 inches away from other cookies.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes (every oven is different so keep an eye as you approach the 10 minute mark. You will want the cookies to be slightly under cooked for a perfectly chewy finish even a couple days later.
- As soon as the cookies come out of the oven remove from the tray and place on a clean, cool counter. Let them rest there until fully cooled.
- Store in the refrigerator for the freshest taste.
Love Chia Seeds as much as I do? Try one of these delicious Chia Seed Recipes or my Chia & Pumpkin Seed Tea Cookies!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.