I’ve been eyeballing all the Soup in a Bread Bowl recipes on Pinterest, but I’m in easy recipe mode so I’ve been skipping them and just sticking with my normal homemade bread recipes. Then I found premade bread bowls at the grocery store and I’m in heaven! Eventually, I’ll work up the ambition to make up some bread bowls myself, but in the meantime I’m going to be cheating and making this Broccoli Cheddar Soup in the store-bought ones!
First grab everything you’re going to need and wash your produce! My husband has a habit of trying to skip that step, so I prewash everything and then just give it a quick rinse when I need it.
Cut your carrots into small strips (the potato peeler works great for this) and break the broccoli into small pieces. Saute your onion, then create a roux. Add your half and half & chicken stock, then simmer for about 20 minutes. Add your veggies and cook for another 25 minutes. If you like a smoother soup, an immersion blender works great. Finish by adding your cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper! Serve in delicious bread bowls or with your favorite homemade bread for dipping.
- ½ chopped Onion
- ¼ cup melted Butter
- ¼ cup Flour
- 2 cup Half and Half
- 2 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 large bunches Broccoli
- 2 Carrots
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 8 oz shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut carrots into small strips.
- Break apart broccoli florets into small pieces.
- Saute Onion in 1 tbsp of melted butter until transparent.
- Make a roux using remainder of melted butter and flour. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in half and half stirring constantly.
- Add in chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add vegetables and cook for 25 minutes over low heat.
- If you want a smooth soup, at this point puree in a blender and return to heat or use immersion blender.
- Add cheese and nutmeg.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.