Hearty, flavorful meals need not be expensive, if you start simple and layer on flavor. My mother was not a “Gourmet” cook but regardless impressed on my heart are the memories of steaming, bowls of filling, delicious food served every night. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, this is a really simple recipe to follow, only 2 pots, no fancy kitchen tools, no weird foods. The house will smell amazing while this dish is cooking.
- 28 oz. can diced tomatos
- 29 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ pounds of ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or diced fine
- ½ c green pepper
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 4 to 5 leaves of basil fine chopped or 2 tsps. dry
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ½ cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- Step 1) In a large pot brown ground beef, onion, and pepper
- Step 2) Add both kinds of tomato’s, seasonings, garlic, water, and stir.
- Step 3) Cover pot, simmer for 15-20 minutes-stirring occasionally
- Step 4) While simmering, boil macaroni noodles, and drain.
- Step 5) Add cooked macaroni to mixture, allow to simmer another 5 minutes.
You can use fresh or dry herbs, but fresh basil really brightens the dish up tremendously. I fine chop a little extra and garnish with a drop of sour cream and fresh chopped basil.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.