Love fresh flowers but not watching them wither away? Try these 7 Tips to Make Fresh Flowers Last Longer! A pretty vase never hurts either!
No one would ever consider my husband to be a romantic, but occasionally I'll get a knock on the door from our local flower delivery company. It's a great way to let me know he's thinking of me while working so far from home and I cherish every delivery! Since I love them (and the thought behind them) so much, I really wanted them to last more than a few days!
It is such a shame the beauty of fresh flowers is a fleeting one, but the good news is, there are a few tips and tricks you can try to make those blooms last a little while longer. Below, you will find 7 tips to make fresh flowers last longer and look stronger! You might be surprised at just how easy and inexpensive it is!
7 Tips to Make Fresh Flowers Last Longer
- Start with a clean vase: Don't just grab a vase off the shelf and add some water. Wash the vase right before using it with warm soapy water. Rinse it well, and dry it to kill any bacteria that would ruin your pretty bouquet!
- Feed them: Mix 3 tablespoons sugar with 2 tablespoons white vinegar and add to a quart of room temperature water. Add about 3-4 inches of your mixture in the bottom of your vase. If you have any left, your outside or potted plants will love it too!
- Cut the stems: Before putting your flowers into your vase, cut the stems to size. Decide how much you need to remove to fit the vase and leave a little extra, making sure to cut them at an angle. This will allow the flowers to easily absorb the nutrients in the water. You can also snip a small bit of your stems off daily (or every couple days as you remember) and it will help prolong their life.
- Remove leaves: Unless it is a leaf that adds to the appearance of the bouquet, remove them. Always remove any that will be below the water line, so more of the nutrients go toward your blooms.
- Dead head: Dead heading is removing any dead/dying blooms. By removing them, the flowers can focus on healthy blooms instead of feeding a dead bloom.
- Positioning: Try to keep your flowers away from any cold drafts. You will also want to keep them out of direct sunlight. Never put flowers near fruit, since fruit can give off ethylene which can cause flowers to wilt. Last but not least, keep them away from pets that might decide they would like a snack!
- Booze: Vodka isn't on my diet anymore, but my flowers love it! Add a teaspoon to your water after a couple of days to help kill any harmful bacteria. If you don't have any on hand, you could use vinegar instead.
See how easy and inexpensive it is to get your fresh flowers to last longer? The next time you get ready to enjoy some fresh blooms, give these tips and tricks a try and see what sort of results you get. You will love having flowers that last longer and don’t wilt out and die in a matter of days. If you are giving fresh flowers to someone as a gift, why not print off these tips so they can enjoy them for longer too?
Enjoy beautiful blooms for longer and really get more bang for your buck when you give these 7 tips to make fresh flowers last longer a try.
If arranging flowers sounds like fun but never turns out quite right, I highly recommend this book: Fresh Flower Arranging!
Did I miss your favorite way to save your cut flowers? Leave a comment below and let me know!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.