Grapefruit Essential Oil is used for everything from cellulite to anxiety from body scrubs to furniture polish! Here are my favorite 20 Grapefruit Essential Oil Uses! Don’t forget to check out all the other ways you can use essential oils around the house and for your health!
Grapefruit Essential Oil (Citrus paradisi) is often overlooked for anything other than its wonderful scent, but it is so very useful! We also make sure we have some on hand because it works great as a disinfectant in my homemade cleaning products, aids in digestion, and even helps lessen the appearance of cellulite!
For internal use, I recommend on sticking with grapefruit juice and using the essential oil topically or in a diffuser. Internal use of essential oils has become extremely popular and due to my research, is no longer something I feel okay promoting. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to matters of safety. If you like to add grapefruit essential oil to your water for health benefits & flavor, try slicing a grapefruit at the beginning of the week and use a slice in your water every day instead. As always I recommend you purchase a 100% pure oil.
20 Grapefruit Essential Oil Uses
- Appetite Suppression: Diffuse 30 minutes before eating to help suppress appetite.
- Uplifting mode: Diffuse for 30 minutes when feeling blue. I also like to apply it to my temples and wrists on really rough days.
- Anxiety: Diffuse for 30 minutes three times a day to help combat anxiety.
- Cellulite: Mix with a carrier oil and apply in a kneading pattern, twice daily.
- Fatigue: Diffuse to naturally increase energy when dealing with chronic fatigue or after a sleepless night.
- Immune Support: Like all citrus, grapefruit can help boost your immune system by helping your lymphatic system to work properly. Diffuse daily for natural immune support or as needed.
- Air Freshener: Combine a couple drops of grapefruit essential oil with 2 teaspoons of your favorite carrier oil in a spray bottle. Fill with water and spray wherever any odors may be lingering.
- Air Purifier: Combine 10 drops of grapefruit essential oil with water in a small spray bottle & spray to help reduce germs in the air.
- Disinfecting Cleaner: In a spray bottle combine equal parts water and vinegar, shake in 10-15 drops Grapefruit oil-use on hard surfaces to disinfect.
- Body Scrub: Make your own body scrub using coconut or almond oil, granulated sugar, and Grapefruit essential oil for a skin softening and moisturizing treat. This would make a great alternative to the oil in my Vanilla Sugar Scrub!
- Bath Soak: Add 3 drops along with 1/2 cup of epsom salt for a stimulating soak in the tub.
- Furniture polish: Combine oil with olive oil, massage into wood furniture, wipe of excess.
- Migraine Headaches: Massage onto temples, inhale directly from bottle.
- Edema/Swelling: Rub 1 -2 drops over heart and any affected areas.
- Anti aging: Used regularly, grapefruit essential oil can help combat signs of premature aging. Apply with a carrier oil to your face once a day.
- Gallstones: Massage over upper right abdomen and on the soles of your feet. Use in conjuction with a digestive blend for more support when dealing with gallbladder issues.
- Facial Toner: Combine Grapefruit essential oil with distilled water and vinegar or witch hazel for a natural toner.
- Flea Repellent: Spray oil diluted with water on dogs to repel fleas. Please do NOT use citrus oils on cats!
- Arthritis/Stiffness: Add to a carrier oil and massage into affected areas.
- Tumors: Grapefruit is really rich in limonene, which has been studied for its ability to combat tumor growth. If you have a tumor you are receiving medical treatment, ask your primary doctor is grapefruit essential oil used topically would counteract any of your current treatment. If not, apply over the area & to your feet with a carrier oil.
Applying citrus oils (or ingesting too much citrus juice) can cause photosensitivity or a sun rash, so after applying please limit your sun exposure for at least 6 hours. My mother learned this the hard way after having a bit too much fun during her trip to Mexico and breaking out in a nasty rash. When she got home, her doctor explained it was all caused by all the lime she was drinking with her tequilas!
More Essential Oil Uses:
- Essential Oil Blends to Use at the First Sign of a Cold
- Essential Oils to Wake You Up with a Smile
- 20 Thieves Essential Oil Uses
- 20 Orange Essential Oil Uses
- 20 Frankincense Essential Oil Uses
What’s your favorite way to use Grapefruit Essential Oil?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.